What are your guys thoughts on the new Affinity Jazzmaster?

Dr Improbable

Squier-holic
Apr 4, 2015
Wisconsin
You mean these, right?

squier-affinity-jazzmasters@1400x1050-1392x1044.jpg

Excuse the pun, but I am super "Jazzed" about them! A local store has the 2021 Squier line, and I am going down there this weekend to possibly buy the blue one. A saw a guy on another forum bought one and loved it, so fingers crossed!

BarnyardShark1979

Squier-Nut
Jul 9, 2020
Baltimore Maryland
I think they're sorta neat. Kind of a mid-way between my more traditional VM JM and my Affinity JM HH.

Colors are not my particular taste though, I kinda want all my guitars to be either white, black, sunburst, or gold.

I'd like it if they came in sunburst with a tortoise-shell pickguard so it would match my VM JM or white with a WBW 3-ply pickguard to match my Affinity JM HH and Bullet Mustang HH.

Robbmonster

Squier-holic
Apr 17, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
I own one...

https://www.squier-talk.com/threads...jazzmaster-feat-bad-news.187282/#post-1093283

First impressions...

Built well, set up well. Buzzes like mad. Full size 250k audio pots (great!). Fretboard looks nice, neck it a little chunkier than usual for Affinities, but very comfortable.

Pickups too 'hot' and harsh for me, and they will probably be replaced. I want something a) closer to 'actual' Jazzy pickups, b) vintage voiced (not 'for the modern player'), c) darker.

The colour is great - I'm already referring to it as 'metallic violet'. String with 9's and REFUSES to stay in tune (possibly my fault).

I haven't used the vibrato yet - tuning is too unstable.

Not sure what else to say, but happy to field questions (even though this isn't my thread).

Ralph124C41

Dr. Squier
Feb 10, 2016
I own one...

https://www.squier-talk.com/threads...jazzmaster-feat-bad-news.187282/#post-1093283

First impressions...

Built well, set up well. Buzzes like mad. Full size 250k audio pots (great!). Fretboard looks nice, neck it a little chunkier than usual for Affinities, but very comfortable.

Pickups too 'hot' and harsh for me, and they will probably be replaced. I want something a) closer to 'actual' Jazzy pickups, b) vintage voiced (not 'for the modern player'), c) darker.

The colour is great - I'm already referring to it as 'metallic violet'. String with 9's and REFUSES to stay in tune (possibly my fault).

I haven't used the vibrato yet - tuning is too unstable.

Not sure what else to say, but happy to field questions (even though this isn't my thread).

Are the pickups the iconic Jazzmasters as advertised or just regular P-90s, also as advertised? They are supposed to be ceramics, too, which seems a departure from the regular JM pickups. I do wish the ad copy would agree about the construction of these pickups instead of just letting the buyers find out for themselves.

To me, a "Jazzmaster" without a rhythm circuit, without the wonky but recognizable bridge, and without actual Jazzmaster pickups is not a Jazzmaster at all ... It is a two-P90 pickup guitar that has body contoured like an offset Jazzmaster. That's all it is. But I realize that may be enough for many buyers to enjoy the guitar.

Robbmonster

Squier-holic
Apr 17, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
Are the pickups the iconic Jazzmasters as advertised or just regular P-90s, also as advertised? They are supposed to be ceramics, too, which seems a departure from the regular JM pickups. I do wish the ad copy would agree about the construction of these pickups instead of just letting the buyers find out for themselves.

To me, a "Jazzmaster" without a rhythm circuit, without the wonky but recognizable bridge, and without actual Jazzmaster pickups is not a Jazzmaster at all ... It is a two-P90 pickup guitar that has body contoured like an offset Jazzmaster. That's all it is. But I realize that may be enough for many buyers to enjoy the guitar.

Oh, I agree, I'm notoriously grumpy about Duo-Sonics that get labelled as 'Mustangs' purely because Mustangs sell more units. But some people might say an HH Telecaster isn't a Telecaster, but rather a Tele-shaped Les Paul, or that an HSS Strat isn't a 'true' Strat, it can go on and on...

The pickups do appear to be P-90-style, dual ceramic bars on either side of the screws, but wound low and wide.

I didn't really get this guitar expecting it to be a Jazzmaster, but rather exactly what you said - A Jazzmaster-shaped, p-90 equipped guitar with a Strat vibrato. And that was good enough for me. I just wish it was a LITTLE closer to the Jazzmaster in terms of tone, but now the quest begins...

Ralph124C41

Dr. Squier
Feb 10, 2016
Oh, I agree, I'm notoriously grumpy about Duo-Sonics that get labelled as 'Mustangs' purely because Mustangs sell more units. But some people might say an HH Telecaster isn't a Telecaster, but rather a Tele-shaped Les Paul, or that an HSS Strat isn't a 'true' Strat, it can go on and on...

The pickups do appear to be P-90-style, dual ceramic bars on either side of the screws, but wound low and wide.

I didn't really get this guitar expecting it to be a Jazzmaster, but rather exactly what you said - A Jazzmaster-shaped, p-90 equipped guitar with a Strat vibrato. And that was good enough for me. I just wish it was a LITTLE closer to the Jazzmaster in terms of tone, but now the quest begins...
thanks for your personal observation of the pickups. I guess I am naive enough to believe that when I read ad copy that claims the guitar has Jazzmaster pickups that it actually has Jazzmaster pickups.

DougMen

Dr. Squier
Jun 8, 2017
Honolulu, HI

You can always put the awesome Fender PV65 JM pickups in it. They're the best JM pickup I ever heard. I have a friend who is a JM fanatic, and he had an Am Pro that he loved, but he sold it and bought an AO JM with the PV65s and he loves it even more. The V-Mod JM pickups in his Am Pro sounded awesome too

Robbmonster

Squier-holic
Apr 17, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
You can always put the awesome Fender PV65 JM pickups in it. They're the best JM pickup I ever heard. I have a friend who is a JM fanatic, and he had an Am Pro that he loved, but he sold it and bought an AO JM with the PV65s and he loves it even more. The V-Mod JM pickups in his Am Pro sounded awesome too

I was actually reading about the 65 JM pickupas as you replied. The article I'm reading promises they deliver 'sparking highs and booming lows' (definitely not what I'm after), and that they 'may not be suited for someone looking for a quiet, mellow sound' (which IS me). I'll still watch some demos, though :)

DougMen

Dr. Squier
Jun 8, 2017
Honolulu, HI
I was actually reading about the 65 JM pickupas as you replied. The article I'm reading promises they deliver 'sparking highs and booming lows' (definitely not what I'm after), and that they 'may not be suited for someone looking for a quiet, mellow sound' (which IS me). I'll still watch some demos, though :)
IDK, the PV65s are the classic vintage JM sound
They're still Fender pickups, and have the classic bright Fender single coil sound, just like a Strat, Tele, Jag, and Mustang have, even though they're all a little different. A P90, although still a single coil, is going to be less bright than any Fender pickup

Last edited:

StormCaster

Squier-Meister
Sep 13, 2020
Wisconsin
I just bought one of these jazz type objects its the cool burgundy mist color. But I am very unhappy with the ceramic stock pickups. Was wondering what you guys think would be best to switch too. 1 a set of classic vibe jazzmaster pickups they are alnico and I think would sound heaps better then the stock ones. Or should I ship out the extra dollars for a set of pv 65s. Any one here own a classic vibe jazzmaster? 🙂

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221202-000034.png
    Screenshot_20221202-000034.png
    553.1 KB · Views: 2

johnnywizzo

Squier-holic
Feb 4, 2016
I just bought one of these jazz type objects its the cool burgundy mist color. But I am very unhappy with the ceramic stock pickups. Was wondering what you guys think would be best to switch too. 1 a set of classic vibe jazzmaster pickups they are alnico and I think would sound heaps better then the stock ones. Or should I ship out the extra dollars for a set of pv 65s. Any one here own a classic vibe jazzmaster? 🙂
I've never owned a Fender Jazzmaster, but I have 3 CV Squier Jazzmasters and love the sound. I also have an Affinity Jazzmaster, and although it is a different sound, I like it for what it is. Probably the sound is also altered by the lack of the original trem system and circuitry.

Robbmonster

Squier-holic
Apr 17, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
I also hated the pickups. Loud, booming, no finesse.

Ordered a custom set from Bootstrap pickups, and they were super helpful in deciding what specs to get.

Latest posts