What are you playing today?

Lanaka

Squier-holic
Feb 11, 2020
Honolulu, HI
Been trying to play a little more electric lately. Yesterday it was the Flying V, the Epi LPJ, and the Epi Special. First time I have ever liked the sound of the LPJ!

View attachment 235928

Thanks, yer FV looks nice! 👍 I'm seriously thinking of replacing the pickguard on my FV, it just looks wrong (not following body lines, wierd angles around the bridge, etc.). I'm going to have a custom pickguard made of marine brass in place of the original.

Cort_Flying_V-BF-AZC(3000x4000).jpg

Still deciding on the final form of my new brass guard. Yer guitar has given me a few more design ideas to consider, thanks!

PangPang

Squier-Meister
Jul 17, 2020
Macau
So today, a Schecter Banshee 6 passive FR, the Epi 100th anniv. Les Paul Customs Pro again and the PRS 30th anniv 24 Customs...oh, the talman 100 bass and the SkullSilver Tele...I better take a photo.... ;p Yes, we really played 5 different ones today. ;p Today, we played from 11am till 120pm, then 3pm till 715pm....there are 2 of us...I literally played all five, and Mina played mainly the bass, the LP and the Schecter shredder guitar, cos she needed to prepare a kick-ass song which has a lot of shredding to do.

20220619_020229.jpg
@Lanaka

Mina saw me looking at this post and said the Genesis is beautiful! We have never seen one before. It sort of looks like a Yamaha SG2000 that Tony Stark has in one of the the movies. Now I understand why sometimes people don't want the sp. edition or anniv. edition of guitars. U have said it!!! Once modified , the values don't hold as well. I have never thought about that. but I have to say, some of the special edition / anniv. guitars / limited edition we have, they are just spec-ed well! They normally would sell for a premium, but I often find in return, the built quality is noticeably higher. So imagine these guitars have their prices reduced...wow!

And the Telsa Model X...I was only trying to use it as an example. I knew u would say the 5.0. ;-p I like the ones from this era too, and remember how popular they were among high school kids back then....a 5.0 ragtop....nice! (but I was already out of high school). I had to mention the Model X cos u know I am not afraid of big engines (but i don't want V12 nor anything north of 7,000cc), yet gas prices really jacked up quite high. So as a foot car, I thought an electric car might not be bad...here in my city, charging is free, and no road tax nor registration tax, as the gov wants to encourage people like me to junk all my dinosaurs. I like the model X for 2 special reasons: the design is...ok, not really exciting and in fact, a bit boring to me. But, I like it. As a foot car, I wouldn't want to shell out money and after 3 years, the design is dated plus I don't like it and it looks very not trendy. The Model X to me looks a bit on the dated side already. hahaha. So my concern wouldn't be a concern. I'll be happy to drive it and keep it for a bit longer. Not to mention it seems quite spacious for us to fit all our guitars and gear; 2nd feature I really hope I will get one day: I think the door will open automatically if I am near the car, and it won't hit the curb or another car parked next to me as it has a sensor. I want a footman to get the door for me but of course, I don't want to have to pay extra money just to have a footman. So this feature seems really cool...the other car that I know of that has the same feature is the S580 Maybach...and that's too much money. Of course, if a S580 Maybach is 30% off, I think I should still find resources to buy it first NOT for myself, but to sell it and make a bit of money, as it is sold at below market price.

Last edited:

Lanaka

Squier-holic
Feb 11, 2020
Honolulu, HI
So today, a Schecter Banshee 6 passive FR, the Epi 100th anniv. Les Paul Customs Pro again and the PRS 30th anniv 24 Customs...oh, the talman 100 bass and the SkullSilver Tele...I better take a photo.... ;p Yes, we really played 5 different ones today. ;p Today, we played from 11am till 120pm, then 3pm till 715pm....there are 2 of us...I literally played all five, and Mina played mainly the bass, the LP and the Schecter shredder guitar, cos she needed to prepare a kick-ass song which has a lot of shredding to do.

View attachment 236083
@Lanaka

Mina saw me looking at this post and said the Genesis is beautiful! We have never seen one before. It sort of looks like a Yamaha SG2000 that Tony Stark has in one of the the movies. Now I understand why sometimes people don't want the sp. edition or anniv. edition of guitars. U have said it!!! Once modified , the values don't hold as well. I have never thought about that. but I have to say, some of the special edition / anniv. guitars / limited edition we have, they are just spec-ed well! They normally would sell for a premium, but I often find in return, the built quality is noticeably higher. So imagine these guitars have their prices reduced...wow!

Now that ye mentioned it, the Yamaha SG2000 does look VERY similar to the SG, albeit a flattop, still it has great reputation as being one of the best Japanese guitar ever made.

I've so found out about my Genesis, I like it as is to the point that I'm in no rush to make any changes to it. Grover tuners, got it already. TUSQ nut, factory installed. ProBuckers, lovely! Coil-splitting volume pot, yup present! Gold hardwares on black color scheme, perfect! I agree, most special/anniv/limited editions are USUALLY spec'ed quite well. Most often the few changes I'd do are fixing the few overlooked non-upgrades, like plastic nuts, crappy strings, and straplocks.

The exception in my experience seems to be those special or limited editions that seems to feature just a different finish as the sole change. A good example are the FSR guitars and amps by Fender. They mostly seems to be just a non-standard finish or tolex cover. Everything else appears to be stock.

An example is my FSR Bullets, the Red Sparkles version of the standard Bullet Stratocaster and Bullet Telecaster. I have no compulsion to leave them stock since the nut is stock Bullet plastics, the tuners are the base sealed tuners (which ain't bad, but I prefer lockers), the pups and electronics are nothing special and are identical to the standard Bullet stuffs. I'm currently playing them stock, TBH I kinda like the Tele as is insofar as the pups are concerned. The Strat pups are meh so far tho, LOL! Almost everything else will be changed, new black locking tuners (eventually), black anodized aluminum pickguards, black anodized aluminum knobs, black coated metal barrel switch tips., black straplocks, b500k pots, oaks switches, Pure Tone output jack in black, black control plate (Tele), black output ferrule (Strat), black modern output cup (Tele), black bridge plates and black TUSQ nuts. I'm still debating on the pups options. I'm leaning towards chrome-plated brass covers on the Chinese A5 pups I've gotten from Amazon to match the Tele chrome-plated neck pups. IF I can find one, I want the same setup for the Tele bridge pup. The end result will be a pair of Red Sparkles guitars with flat black hardwares and shiny chrome pups contrasting each other.

TwinBulletFSR-CC-Z(2000²).jpg

And the Telsa Model X...I was only trying to use it as an example. I knew u would say the 5.0. ;-p I like the ones from this era too, and remember how popular they were among high school kids back then....a 5.0 ragtop....nice! (but I was already out of high school). I had to mention the Model X cos u know I am not afraid of big engines (but i don't want V12 nor anything north of 7,000cc), yet gas prices really jacked up quite high. So as a foot car, I thought an electric car might not be bad...here in my city, charging is free, and no road tax nor registration tax, as the gov wants to encourage people like me to junk all my dinosaurs. I like the model X for 2 special reasons: the design is...ok, not really exciting and in fact, a bit boring to me. But, I like it. As a foot car, I wouldn't want to shell out money and after 3 years, the design is dated plus I don't like it and it looks very not trendy. The Model X to me looks a bit on the dated side already. hahaha. So my concern wouldn't be a concern. I'll be happy to drive it and keep it for a bit longer. Not to mention it seems quite spacious for us to fit all our guitars and gear; 2nd feature I really hope I will get one day: I think the door will open automatically if I am near the car, and it won't hit the curb or another car parked next to me as it has a sensor. I want a footman to get the door for me but of course, I don't want to have to pay extra money just to have a footman. So this feature seems really cool...the other car that I know of that has the same feature is the S580 Maybach...and that's too much money. Of course, if a S580 Maybach is 30% off, I think I should still find resources to buy it first NOT for myself, but to sell it and make a bit of money, as it is sold at below market price.

Hehe, I surmised as much about the Tesla X car. Still, there's nothing compelling for me to consider buying any Tesla models, the up-front cost of buying into their, actually ANY brand, electric cars is just simply too much for me. I'd rather get the Smart fourtwo as my economy car for just local trips (to/from stores, doc's office, etc.). Only issue would be lugging a full rig to a gig. There may not be enuff room for more than one set of guitar, amp and pedalboard. MAYBE 2 guitars if I don't bring a 212. 🤪😁 One of these cars would set me back for under 25k$ FULLY loaded new. But since Daimler-Benz has discontinued them for the USA since 2018, used prices are typically under 20k for one in good shape.

Smart_fourtwo-Z(2000²).jpg

Last edited:

Lanaka

Squier-holic
Feb 11, 2020
Honolulu, HI
Ah! The Haruna and the FV strikes again! Funny that I just decided to juggle four guitars this time. The first two are my red metallic 2020 Squier Contemporary Telecaster HH and the red transparent 1980s Cort Flying V again.

But this time the third member of the quartet is my 2013 Epiphone Limited Edition Genesis Deluxe Professional and the fourth is another fave of mine the Firefly 338 that has a pair of 2009 Gibson LP Traditional Professional Burstbucker 3 and 57 Classic humbuckers installed.

GOTD_20220618-AFNF-4807-2AACZ(3000x2000).jpg
(left to right)
Firefly 338 + Gibson pups.
2013 Epiphone Limited Edition Genesis Deluxe Pro
1980s Cort Flying V
2020 Squier Contemporary Telecaster HH

The Epi is the coil-splitter of the group. I think I know what I'm doing tomorrow. Gonna compare my coil-splitting Genesis, which has the ProBuckers 3 & 2 installed, to my 2003 Washburn Pro X12 QVS, which has a set of coil-UNsplitting Duncan Distortion & 59 installed. Yes, UN-splitting, because the wiring has a boo boo in that down means the humbuckers are split, while up on the master volume unsplits the 59 neck, up on the master tone unsplits the Distortion bridge. Turns out I liked them this way so never fixed this error! 😁

Ahnlaashock

Squier-holic
Sep 21, 2014
St. Louis Area
Kind of off topic, but Tesla was brought up.
A competing high performance electric drive car manufacturer, is saying their new single wheel motor produces 330 horsepower and is light enough that two of them can be mounted into a central drive unit that uses axles to the wheels, and 660 Hp weighs in at 38.5 kilos. Their car has 660 in the rear and 220 in the front. 880 hp.
A single motor is about the size of a round watermelon, only thinner.
Prop driven aircraft can remove gasoline engines and replace them with much more efficient gensets to power all the HP they need. A twin engine prop plane can have 660 hp on tap, for 30 kilos weight, buffer/emergency batteries and the weight of the genset.
On top of that, they are cheaper than the gasoline engines and should have a much longer service life.

Nadnitram

Squier-Meister
Jan 1, 2020
Ohio
Thanks, yer FV looks nice! 👍 I'm seriously thinking of replacing the pickguard on my FV, it just looks wrong (not following body lines, wierd angles around the bridge, etc.). I'm going to have a custom pickguard made of marine brass in place of the original.

View attachment 236049

Still deciding on the final form of my new brass guard. Yer guitar has given me a few more design ideas to consider, thanks!
Yours looks like this, which I guess is a standard Flying V.
1655669539630.png

Mine seems to be a direct copy of the 70's-style Flying V. The style of pickguard matches, as well as the style of truss rod cover. My headstock is a little more rounded.
1655669342075.png 1655669152049.png

Lanaka

Squier-holic
Feb 11, 2020
Honolulu, HI
Yours looks like this, which I guess is a standard Flying V.
View attachment 236145

Mine seems to be a direct copy of the 70's-style Flying V. The style of pickguard matches, as well as the style of truss rod cover. My headstock is a little more rounded.
View attachment 236144 View attachment 236143

Hmmm, yeah, it's very similar!

1655687108053.png

The main differences is the uneven following of body lines, the extra odd shaped bit at top of pickguard, the bridge line angling TOWARDS the guitar centerline, the different control layout and the placement of the output jack in the side of guitar. I'm going to swap the 3-way for another pot, then move the 3-way to just next and below the bridge humbucker and turn it so its line of travel is parallel with the guitar centerline. The other option is to see if I can't squeeze all 4 pots in the existing straight line. I may have to use dime pots and smaller knobs. Then in this case the toggle can stay put. Then reshape the bridge line, outer edge and the top bit by neck joint to be more aesthetically pleasing. For coil-splitting and phase control, the black version of the Triple-Shot trim rings will do this job. I'm thinking of putting in the classic Hot Rodded (JB/Jazz) or the Saturday Night Special OR the Whole Lotta Humbuckers OR a set of '78 TB+'78 HB. Havent decided which yet. They will be in gold, of course. Depending on the humbucker choices, the saddles will be swapped for brass saddles of either the correct 10.5mm or a set with the wider 10.8mm spacing (and swap the bridge plate to one with the wider saddle screw spacing).

Cort_FV-RCZ(4000x2000).jpg

The differences in my Cort FV to the second one is in the headstock. My Cort's headstock is shorter with a more rounder tip. The truss cover does not follow the neck of the headstock as well as it ought to. I'm going to replace the truss cover for a brass one that has its bottom contours better matching the headstock lines and engrave the Old English font capital letters FV on it and black fill it. Oh and plug n drill 1 or 2 new bottom truss cover screw holes so it is more symmetrical. I may have to redesign the truss cover so it won't interfere with the String Butler that's going to be installed later. Oh and the nut will be replaced by a brass version.

1655687702896.png

I've noticed my FV also had it's strap button on bottom relocated from the correct location just inside the tip of the left leg to the very tip of the left leg. Also noticed that there's another strap button hole in the end of the OTHER tip. I'm guessing this FV had served a Lefty owner for a whiles. When I swap the strap button to straplocks, I will move the existing button to the right tip so it can serve as a tip protector. I think I'll leave the original correct strap button hole intact but plug it with a brass screw to protect the hole interior from bugs n rot.

EDIT: Everytime i say FV, I get flashbacks to InitialD's Mazda RX-7s driven by the Takahashi brothers. I know they're the FC & FD, but still... 😁

Last edited:

Lanaka

Squier-holic
Feb 11, 2020
Honolulu, HI
Finally brought out my #1 LP, the 2012 Agile AL-3010SE. I accidentally buried it in my closet during my move in. I should've put the stuffs I'm least likely to use in the back of the closet and the stuffs I'm likely to use in front! Currently fixing that, altho snapped this during a break.

Agile_AL3010SE~AACZ(2000x4000).jpg

Just as I took pic, the patio auto light turned on and overloaded the exposure with too much warm lighting. ☹️

Ive actually pulled out most of my LPs to take a series of pics, but kept this one out for playing.

Lanaka

Squier-holic
Feb 11, 2020
Honolulu, HI
GOTD: 2022 Jun 21. Trying something different.

An experimental composition using just 3 different basses.
3_Bass-1945-CZ(2000²).jpg

1) 1998 Ibanez SR406-NT 34" 6-String Bass.
Ibanez_SR406NT-CC-Z(2000²).jpg

Retuned this MIK bass to B-Standard so it can be played like a guitar, however I don't do much barre chords, heck rarely do chords per se. I'll play them as an arpeggio set, varying the order of the notes in the chord as desired.

Word of warning and advice! Do NOT try lifting the full-sized bass over yer head by it's straps using only the fretting hand. Put whatever ye have in OTHER hand down and use both hands to unmount bass from yerself. Yer fretting shoulder will thank ye very much! Otherwise yer gonna need lotsa salve or balm for a sprained shoulder. 🤕☹️

2) 1980s Samick SOB-PJ-WH 30" Shorty PJ-Bass
Samick_SOBPJWH-CC-Z(2000²).jpg

This is a vintage white bass that has aged to a nice parchment tone. I've retuned this MIJ or MIK 30-incher to a piccolo bass tuning, methinks I'll try looking for a set of heavy guitar strings fitted with bass end pieces to get closer to the piccolo tuning with less tension. I'm using this piccolo bass as the tenor counterpoint to the 6-string.

3) 1990s-2000s Crate 34" P-Bass.
Crate-PBass-CC-Z(2000²).jpg

Surprisingly, this unknown (to me) bass has a fantastic neck! I'm a little annoyed at the seller tried to misrepresent the neck as a Fender neck. Perhaps I overpaid for this bass at 100$, but methinks I'll keep this one, altho the fubab'ed (Fked Up Beyond All Belief) back needs stripping, smoothed flat and refinished again. Thing looks like the backside of the moon in the dark! I think I'll redo the orange-skin front in red metallic.

This guitar came with Quarter Pound P-bass pickup. As such it has a nice growly tone that takes gain quite well! I've tuned this bass as normal, altho I'm thinking of trying one full step lower, perhaps with heavier strings, at next string change. This is my *cough* bass line rhythm guitar. 😉😁

Crate_Rear+Sammy_Neck-Z(2000²).jpg

On left is the Crate's messed up backside, in contrast the Sammy Shorty's neck backside features several interesting knot-like ghostly figures on the satin smooth and dark amber neck (right).

Can't figure out how the Crate back got so dinged up, but obviously the P-Bass got refinished by dumping spray can paint all over it. Sigh, havent seen such crappy spray can paint job in a long time.

PS: Just as I'm about to post, I noticed that the Sammy's headstock is splitting a bit. Samick made one error. The scarf joint is runs straight thru the lowest string tuner hole. 😱🙄 I'm guessing the higher stress of the bass strings tightened up to piccolo tune made the scarf joint start to split. I've loosen the strings and added the Sammy to the priority bench queue. I'm going to remove all bass strings, glue and clamp the headstock, once dried/cured, I'm gonna change over to lighter strings that will be the heavier guitar strings. That SHOULD eliminate this issue. *Knock on wood*

Lanaka

Squier-holic
Feb 11, 2020
Honolulu, HI
Back to playing my red metallic 2020 Squier Contemporary Telecaster HH with my silver 1980s Roland Cube-40K with a TS7 Ibanez Tubescreamer, VD-1 Behringer Vintage Distortion (a Big Muff clone), CF7 Ibanez Chorus/Flanger, and the DE7 Ibanez Delay/Echo. Reverb is supplied by the amp.