What’s a decent beginner/intermediate guitar for general use including trem for surf?

jdean074

Squier Talker
Jan 1, 2022
Ashtabula OH
^^^^ nailed it -- It was definitely the nut in my case and a mechanical pencil knocked it right out

Also big ups for posting 60 Cycle Hum afford-a-strat, @Ralph124C41 -- love that channel so much --- I'm assuming Ryan Burke is a household name around here

Lanaka

AKA GhostGuitars
Platinum Supporting Member
Feb 11, 2020
Honolulu, HI
I currently only have one electric guitar, an Affinity tele. It’s a fine guitar, but I want to replace it with a better instrument that has a quality tremolo, because trying to play surf without bending makes me sad.

I’m never going to be much of a guitarist and specialize in any style, so it’s important to find an instrument that is a bit of a jack of all trades and good enough quality that it’ll take me through intermediate playing... if I ever get there, haha.

I don’t know much about guitars outside the ~$200 tier, I spent most of my research time on basses... but I’ve read many times that a cheap trem is hard to keep in tune, and not really worth having.

While I prefer the Fender/Squier look I’m not ruling out any maker or pickup combo as long as it’s flexible with a reliable trem. I don’t have a set budget exactly, but would hope to keep it under $500.

If y’all can recommend some instruments to check out, I would appreciate it.
Well, it MAY be outta yer range, but it is SO appropriately named the "Beach Banana" not by me, it is popularly so named before I got it:

1984 Yamaha SC-300T (red metallic)
Yamaha_SC-300T-FF-CZ(3000x4000).jpg

IF you decide to look for one, just make SURE the trem bar is there else tis VERY difficult to get a replacement. Yamaha apparently only allows original registered owners to buy one using it's original parts number from the factory. Registered means one who has submitted the original warranty card for a guitar.

SC-300T+GA-10-(2000²).jpg

It is one of two of my FIRST electric guitars, both were bought at same place, same day and same time (almost) from 2 sellers. The reason I paid only 165$US instead of the going price of 500-700$US, is theres a small dent in forearm contour, missing its trem arm, and the original gig bag is missing parts. ...Oh and the seller is a military personnel that's being rotated out of Hawai'i and was over his weight quota. Same for the seller of the other guitar I bought that day, the 1994 Jackson JRR-94-BLK Concept V for 225$US.

1994 Jackson JRR-94-BLK Concept V (black)
Jackson_JRR94-FF-CZ(2000x3000).jpg

I know I will NEVER sell these two!

Lanaka

AKA GhostGuitars
Feb 11, 2020
Honolulu, HI
Cmon guys yall for real ???

Can't believe I had to scroll past 30 posts of guitars that cost 2 months worth of rent to find this comment. Gretsch, MIM, JM & Jag -- on a Squier forum no less!!

I used a stock Affinity that I got for free and I gave that wiggle stick hell in the surf band I led for a year or so. Granted, I had to really massage it to keep it from going out of tune but eventually she was rock solid.

Well, this IS the Surf Music Forum, so one can safely assume Squiers isnt the only brand that CAN be discussed here. 😉😁

jdean074

Squier Talker
Jan 1, 2022
Ashtabula OH
WOW @Lanaka never have I heard of the Surf Banana -- that thing has some major league swag going on

Just getting hip to those guitars in life, first saw King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard sporting what's called a Samurai I think??
1669255974620.png

Well, this IS the Surf Music Forum, so one can safely assume Squiers isnt the only brand that CAN be discussed here. 😉😁
Of course -- I was just surprised to see it

Horseflesh

Squier-Meister
Sep 19, 2020
Seattle-ish
Since the thread came back to life I owe y'all an update... I ended up with a G&L Comanche Tribute.

A Strat always seemed like the most popular answer to "what's a flexible guitar," and the Comanche is Strat-like with a well-regarded tremolo mechanism.

Lanaka

AKA GhostGuitars
Feb 11, 2020
Honolulu, HI
WOW @Lanaka never have I heard of the Surf Banana -- that thing has some major league swag going on

Just getting hip to those guitars in life, first saw King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard sporting what's called a Samurai I think??
View attachment 246114

Of course -- I was just surprised to see it

Yup the Beach Banana and the Flying Samurai, I have both.

Here's my 2005 Yamaha EGC-103C Flying Samurai Reissue:

YamahaEGC_103C-20220519_024933-M(1824x4000).jpg

Btw, the Flying Samurai Reissue is a recent model so it's much easier to find one (well comparatively to looking for an 80s Beach Banana, or the 60s Flying Samurai). Twill still be harder to find one than say a Strat or even a LP.

Last edited:

Lanaka

AKA GhostGuitars
Feb 11, 2020
Honolulu, HI
Since the thread came back to life I owe y'all an update... I ended up with a G&L Comanche Tribute.

A Strat always seemed like the most popular answer to "what's a flexible guitar," and the Comanche is Strat-like with a well-regarded tremolo mechanism.
Grats on getting the Comanche!

Well, methink one of the reasons why the Strat is so recommended is because you can find a Fender or Squier Strat just about anywhere that sells guitars. If a pawn shop has a guitar odds are good it'd be a Strat.

I've heard good things about the Comanche but have never seen one here, G&L is rather uncommon here, unfortunately.

Horseflesh

Squier-Meister
Sep 19, 2020
Seattle-ish
Grats on getting the Comanche!

Well, methink one of the reasons why the Strat is so recommended is because you can find a Fender or Squier Strat just about anywhere that sells guitars. If a pawn shop has a guitar odds are good it'd be a Strat.

I've heard good things about the Comanche but have never seen one here, G&L is rather uncommon here, unfortunately.

G&L is definitely a little weird ... but in just the way that appeals to me. I'm very happy with it.

But, to add some Squier content, my Indonesian G&L gave me additional appreciation for how well my Affinity Tele is made. The G&L is certainly better, but I am now more able to understand how quickly you get into diminishing returns as the price tag goes up.

Randall E

Squier-Meister
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2021
Central California
You know, I have an old Lotus strat and it has a good stock trem to it. You can often find a Lotus strat for around $100. Personally, I feel they are a totally underrated guitar, I also have an old Lotus P-bass too. The bass is a little heavy, but the balance is good. When I want to play something that has the 60s sound, that's my go to bass.