Tuner replacement on 2021 squier bullet tele

SquareWaveWeasel

May 3, 2021
Montana
I have a bullet tele on the way, with the intention of absolutely gutting it and starting over. I wanted to do as little invasive alteration as possible, and was wondering if a set of Fender locking tuners would be a drop in fit since the new Bullets have screwed enclosed tuners? Any help would be appreciated!

SquareWaveWeasel

May 3, 2021
Montana
You may have to enlarge the holes depending on their size. fill the old tuner holes and drill new ones for the mounts. That is about it.
The little guide holes, yeah? Not the actual pegholes? If its the guide holes, awesome. I can't actually find a picture of the enclosed tuners being used on this year's models to see if they have one or two guide pins, but they at least don't have mounting screws.

BlueSquirrel

Squier-holic
Dec 21, 2018
France
You also have to measure the tuners' holes' diameter.
You could look into brands such as Hipshot tuners (with the UMP plates to avoid drilling) or the Gotoh SD91 series (more vintage looking. Some members here said they fit their CV strat. Don't know about the Bullet, though) .

12Rant

Squier Talker
Jan 16, 2012
New Liskeard Ontario Canada
I have a 2021 Strat Bullet it has 2 pin tuners and Fender locking tuners should be a straight drop in. But I'd pull the tuner 0n your 6th E string and measure the holes diameter. After measuring, you restring that E string without replacing the string.

skidiver

Aug 4, 2022
New York State
New user here, looking for a possible upgrade of my 2022 Squier Bullet tele’s tuners. The eBay link is dead. Do you happen to recall the specific tuners you used as a drop-in?

I’d also welcome suggestions from others. I’m hoping to spend less than the Hipshots would cost, but those are the only ones I’ve found so far that go in without modification of the headstock.

the_dude

Squier-Nut
Feb 17, 2021
Japan
Of all of my 8 guitars, only 3 have sealed tuners. The rest have Gotoh SD-90/91. Tuning stability is not an issue (in fact the Fender Custom Shop uses the same tuners).

But with that said, Gotoh does have these new funky locking tuners that are made to look like the vintage Kluson style (which do not need the larger peg hole)

the_dude

Squier-Nut
Feb 17, 2021
Japan
Problem with those trapazoid tuners is that there are very few 'good' options that would 'drop in' without needing new holes or leaving some exposed.

BlueSquirrel

Squier-holic
Dec 21, 2018
France
I have a bullet tele on the way, with the intention of absolutely gutting it and starting over. I wanted to do as little invasive alteration as possible, and was wondering if a set of Fender locking tuners would be a drop in fit since the new Bullets have screwed enclosed tuners? Any help would be appreciated!

"Screwed enclosed tuners" is too vague a description for us, since factories producing guitars for Squier use different types of screwed enclosed tuners which can look the same from the outside but are different inside.
You can even get tuners that differ from Squier's official pictures. It basically depends on what parts factories can source at a given time and given that the pandemic has upset supply chains a lot, nothing can be taken for granted imho.

Without removing one of the tuners to measure the diameters' holes and to count the number of pins securing the tuners to the headstock and the headstock's depth of your specific guitar, it is impossible to tell you what might fit.
When you get your guitar, take one tuner off, measure well, take pics and post them here. Then we can help you.

Unfortunately, most of the time, Fender tuners won't be drop-ins, but depending on what tuners are on it, brands such as Wilkinson, Musiclily, Hipshot, Fame or Graphtech ratio might make some.
Even Gotoh and Grover have new lines that might.

Last edited:

BlueSquirrel

Squier-holic
Dec 21, 2018
France
Of all of my 8 guitars, only 3 have sealed tuners. The rest have Gotoh SD-90/91. Tuning stability is not an issue (in fact the Fender Custom Shop uses the same tuners).

But with that said, Gotoh does have these new funky locking tuners that are made to look like the vintage Kluson style (which do not need the larger peg hole)

These would be ideal, unfortunately I think that they only make them for 3x3 guitars (for ex. Les Paul / SG junior and special /335) at the moment, not for 6 inline guitars such as telecasters and strats. Btw, Grover makes some too in non locking and locking versions for 3x3 guitars. We should petition these brands to get 6-inline versions.

the_dude

Squier-Nut
Feb 17, 2021
Japan
Personally I would go for the standard Kluson type from Gotoh, not the locking tuner type. These are the same that Fender's custom shop use. https://g-gotoh.com/product/sd91/?lang=en

My two Cool Z strats (MIJ) have the SD91 on them, excellent tuners. I also have SD81s (same thing just from the 80's) on my 1984 Yamaha MIJ strat and 1984 Fernandes RST-50 64. These tuners are almost 40 years old and have zero issues.

I also have SD90s on my 1999 MIJ Epiphone SG70 - also no issues. In fact I did upgrade my SG years ago to Gibson branded (made by Ping Works) sealed tuners. I enlarge the peg holes to do so. However a couple years ago, with the help of some conversion bushings I went back to the original Gotoh SD90s - MUCH better of a tuner.

Grovers are typically made by Ping Works as well. I have a set of Ping Works Grovers on my Cool Z Les Paul and I am going to get rid of them, terrible tuner. Hold tune well enough, but far to jumpy and uneven when tuning.

Gotoh SD90 and SD91 posts are 6.35mm and the bushings fit a 8.8mm peg hole. You would have to drill new screw holes on the back of the headstock to secure them.

If you want the more modern sealed tuner (which have a threaded post) then you will have to enlarge the peg hole. Even then I would recommend Gotoh like a set of SG381 (I put those on my son's cheap mass produced Chinese strat copy - HUGE improvment).

If you look closely at the pics for Grovers you will see PW stamp on the underside, these are Ping Works tuners (not made by Grover). Personally I never liked them. As I said, I found them to be jumpy and not the smoothest when tuning.

the_dude

Squier-Nut
Feb 17, 2021
Japan
@Guitarmageddon is correct. I just checked the Squier's website, the Bullets now have sealed tuners. So they would have the larger hole for the threaded post. The do not have any screw holes on the back of the headstock but there will be pin holes and pins under the tuner to stop them from moving.

If you still want to upgrade them, I would recommend a set of SG381's I love the vintage button look as well.