Suggestions for mini amp.

DougMen

Dr. Squier
Jun 8, 2017
Honolulu, HI
Katana mini

Gets 90% of my plugged in action at home. So good I have 2!!!!!
I have 2 also. I use an ABY box to run them both at the same time, with them at ear height about 3 feet apart, pointed at me, and I use them with different delay times for a cool stereo effect which sounds much bigger and more spacious than with just one. I do the same thing with my two Yamaha THR10Cs, and lately I've been doing it with my Mustang LT25 and one of the Katana Minis, which sounds best of all to me, even better than the two Minis or two Yamahas together.

BlueSquirrel

Squier-holic
Gold Supporting Member
Dec 21, 2018
France
I’ve been away from electric guitars for the last several years. Just playing acoustic.

I ordered a Strat recently, and need a small amp.

The last 2 amps I had were a Marshall Class 5 combo and a Vox AC4c1-12. Ultimately they were both just too loud for me to get an enjoyable tone at low volume.

I also had a Mustang 1V2 for a while. I could get close to what I wanted at low volume, but not quite. It just wasn’t as enjoyable as a tube amp.

I don’t have a lot of time or space, and I want something that I will actually use. Most of the time I would just grab my acoustic instead.

My “formative” guitar playing years (single guy, no kids) were spent with big 40 - 100 watt tube amps and cabinets. Maybe that ruined me for life. :)

Maybe I’m chasing something that doesn’t exist. Any suggestions?

The Vox AC4TV is basically your amp's little brother. It contains actual tubes and it would allow you to play on 1/4 watt, 1 watt or 4 watts settings. Unfortunately it is no longer produced but you might find a second-hand one locally.
It is a very basic amp but it sounds really good for its size and it takes pedals well.

Last edited:

yegbert

Squier-Meister
Silver Supporting Member
Dec 12, 2009
Clinton, Maryland USA
I don’t currently own any amps at all. No hurry, and I’d like to keep the budget on the cheap end. I live close to a Guitar Center.
I too was spoiled by somewhat larger tube amps. I still have some of them, but also now have a couple of little SS amps that I find enjoyable at lower volume levels. I like my Fender Frontman with a 10” speaker. I sometimes connect it to my 12” alnico Weber that’s in my SFDR, and sometimes just play it through its’ own cab’s 10” Italian (newer) Jensen.

Maybe you could try a little SS amp at GC, maybe even find a good used one for an affordable price?

DougMen

Dr. Squier
Jun 8, 2017
Honolulu, HI
Well I ordered a Vox VT20x. Hoping for the best! I used to have a Vox Stomplab pedal that I used with my AC4c1-12, and was pretty happy with the tones. Hopefully the VT20x will be a similar experience.
My favorite amp model on all the Vox modeling amps is the "boutique OD", which is supposed to be a Dumble simulation. I don't know about that, but it gets the lower gain bluesy lead tone I like with a Strat

DougMen

Dr. Squier
Jun 8, 2017
Honolulu, HI
As much as I touted the Katana Mini, after playing all three of my amps over the last couple of weeks, the Mini and LT25 are both awesome too, but my two THR10Cs, one on either side of me facing me, for a wide spacious sound, fed by one of my favorite TS or Klon clones, and set on the Fender Blues Jr. amp model, still reign supreme. IMO, it was a HUGE mistake of Yamaha to eliminate the C and X models when they upgraded to the THRII series. I never care for the standard THR much, and prefer the C, and even the X over it.

Uncle Joe

Squier-holic
Dec 18, 2015
Jersey
The Vox AC4TV is basically your amp's little brother. It contains actual tubes and it would allow you to play on 1/4 watt, 1 watt or 4 watts settings. Unfortunately it is no longer produced but you might find a second-hand one locally.
It is a very basic amp but it sounds really good for its size and it takes pedals well.
This is exactly what I was thinking. I have my AC4TV set at quarter watt with ABY to a Blackheart 1 watt, 12"cabs. Pedals. I loved my Fender Blues Jr. but I never need even moderate volume. Not compact, but it gets the tone at low volume...
20221119_124706.jpg

Caddy

Dr. Squier
Nov 29, 2010
Indiana
More than a few off us have found joy and satisfaction with one of Positive Grid's "Spark" models. The "Mini"...

View attachment 244397

Or its larger 'sister, the Model 40...

View attachment 244398

I like my Spark 40 enough that I actually went several months using none of my larger amplifiers.

Search here on S-T, or look at either the company's page or that of most larger vendors.

-don
As fate would have it, I just ordered the Spark Mini yesterday. They are having a nice sale on their web site. Looking forward to its arrival.

Riverdrifter

Squier Talker
Nov 5, 2022
Illinois, USA
I live close to a Guitar Center, so I can order used gear online and easily return it, if there’s any problems.

I ordered that VT20X and later got an email saying they don’t have a power cable for it. It’s an oddball proprietary cable. So cancel that.

They had an open box Mustang LT25 for the same price, so I went with that instead. It should be here Tuesday.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Uncle Joe

Squier-holic
Dec 18, 2015
Jersey
This little Flamma is a versatile mamma jamma. I bought this a couple of years ago when Eddie spotted an online deal. Thanks @Eddie .

We're all together at an Air BNB so I brought my Speedster Traveler guitar. Ideal for playing at low volume while everyone was getting ready for breakfast. It's a Bluetooth too, so I can stream Alice's Restaurant Massacre during dinner. Ideal mini amp for this trip.

20221124_091513.jpg 20221124_091912.jpg