Suggestions for mini amp.

Riverdrifter

Squier-Meister
Nov 5, 2022
Illinois, USA
I’ve been away from electric guitars for the last several years. Just playing acoustic.

I ordered a Strat recently, and need a small amp.

The last 2 amps I had were a Marshall Class 5 combo and a Vox AC4c1-12. Ultimately they were both just too loud for me to get an enjoyable tone at low volume.

I also had a Mustang 1V2 for a while. I could get close to what I wanted at low volume, but not quite. It just wasn’t as enjoyable as a tube amp.

I don’t have a lot of time or space, and I want something that I will actually use. Most of the time I would just grab my acoustic instead.

My “formative” guitar playing years (single guy, no kids) were spent with big 40 - 100 watt tube amps and cabinets. Maybe that ruined me for life. :)

Maybe I’m chasing something that doesn’t exist. Any suggestions?

dpang2836

Squier-holic
Double Platinum Member
Jan 25, 2022
IDAHO
I am surprised Don didn't mention a Wang? Just the Amp, so you need a Cab. I have 1 Watt Model and want the 5 Watt Model. :D

duceditor

Squier-Axpert
May 29, 2014
The Monadnocks, NH USA
I am surprised Don didn't mention a Wang? Just the Amp, so you need a Cab. I have 1 Watt Model and want the 5 Watt Model. :D
Well the Wangs certainly meets the size qualification -- it is small. And, yes, it is a remarkable little amp.

But that said it really is best as a clean machine. Or as one which gets more 'complex' tonalities -- from more than mild crunch onto full distrtion -- from pedals.

That, to me, is both its strength and its potential weakness.

If somone (as someone recently did) said they were looking for a great clean amp than the Mini 5 is almost without peer.

For someone looking to get a wide range of modern guitar tones -- or even some true Chicago or Delta blues tones -- the Sparks are, I think, more likely to please.

-don

Paruwi

Squier-holic
Apr 28, 2019
Kraut-Territory
How do you like that Mesa Boogie Express? One is for sale here locally and I am intrigued.

Best amp I've ever owned
MesaBoogie_Express525_1x12_front-u-rear.jpg
there are two models one with the EQ called express+
and the other without the EQ, I've heard they are very different

I got mine basicly new (owner had played it for a few hours) for a great price of €800.-
You can't find them here for less than €1500.....

Last edited:

DougMen

Dr. Squier
Jun 8, 2017
Honolulu, HI
I've tried a ton of affordable practice amps over the last several years, and the ones I've kept are the Boss Katana Mini, the Fender Mustang LT25, and the Yamaha THR10C. I had been using the Yamaha the most, but lately I've been using the Mini and LT25 together, and that combination (or either one alone) nails the bluesy tone I want. If I had to choose a desert island amp, it would be the Mini. It's small, light, cheap, and simple. The clean channel with an overdrive pedal, or the crunch channel by itself, with one of my Strats and the on-board delay, and I'm in heaven. No apps, no computers, no modeling, just pure and simple analog SS fun for $99.

Last edited:

Eddd

Squier-holic
Nov 20, 2019
Canada
I really like my Vox Mini Super Beetle.It sounds great at low volumes,takes pedals quite well, gets plenty loud if needed.The reverb is nice and reverby .Nice tube sounds ,It has a new type of vacuum tube in it called a Nutube or something like that.I preferred it over my boss Katana and my Vox VT20+.Oh yeah,I forgot to mention that it is pretty small.