String question

Joe506

Squier Talker
Jun 13, 2022
illinois
I’ll start off by saying I do not know a lot about basses. My daughter really wanted to play so I picked her up a Squier pro tone PJ locally. I bought it from the original owner with the original strings on it. I swapped the stings out since they were 25 years old and now it sounds dramatically quieter while it’s plugged into the amp. The new strings I bought are DR neon red stings in 45 65 85 105 if that helps.

Attachments

• 78AFB71C-CAB7-49A3-A0AD-80BFFB7EFF08.jpeg
    78AFB71C-CAB7-49A3-A0AD-80BFFB7EFF08.jpeg
    127.3 KB · Views: 6

FrieAsABird

Squier-Meister
Jan 25, 2022
Germany
Welcome to the forum! Maybe the red coating makes the strings quieter? I don’t know, never played anything but normal strings. These neon ones are roundwounds so I think they should work, maybe you can adjust the pickup height too?

TimTheViking

Squier-holic
Feb 13, 2019
Chesapeake, Virginia
Welcome to the forum!
What do you mean by "quieter"? Less output from the new strings so you have to turn the volume up? Less noise like static or hum? Less noise from your fingers sliding up and down the strings?

Joe506

Squier Talker
Jun 13, 2022
illinois
Welcome to the forum!
What do you mean by "quieter"? Less output from the new strings so you have to turn the volume up? Less noise like static or hum? Less noise from your fingers sliding up and down the strings?

The out put from the amp is quieter. The amp was much louder with the old strings.

TimTheViking

Squier-holic
Feb 13, 2019
Chesapeake, Virginia
The out put from the amp is quieter. The amp was much louder with the old strings.
I doubt it's coating. It's electric not acoustic. The only reason the sound is quieter is if the output from the guitar is less. That means it's electronic. So the reasons would be:

1. Different metallic composition of the string resulting in a weaker signal
2. Different gauge string
3. Pickup height lower
4. Did you possibly change something you have overlooked?

Beagle

Squier-holic
Nov 19, 2017
Yorkshire
I use DR Black Beauties of the same gauge, have done for over 20 years. The coating isn't thick and doesn't make them dull or quiet.

I'd guess that the old strings were a bigger gauge

Joe506

Squier Talker
Jun 13, 2022
illinois
I doubt it's coating. It's electric not acoustic. The only reason the sound is quieter is if the output from the guitar is less. That means it's electronic. So the reasons would be:

1. Different metallic composition of the string resulting in a weaker signal
2. Different gauge string
3. Pickup height lower
4. Did you possibly change something you have overlooked?
I wiped down the bass when I took the strings out. I’ll look at it more and see if something changed

Bubbalou

Squier Talker
May 16, 2010
North Tejas, USA
Well I solved it. My daughter plugged her cord into the patch port instead of the imput port. The strings sound normal again. Just wanted to give an update…..I should of checked this first rather than trusting an 8 year old lol
That is good news. Glad you found the culprit