SQUIRE CLASSIC VIBE ESQUIRE TUNER SWAP

SeaSquire

Squier Talker
Jul 4, 2022
Florida
I recently purchased a Butterscotch Blonde Squire Esquire Classic Vibe and was wondering about a swap - I also have (left over from a modded MIM Tele) a set of beautiful Fender chrome locking tuners that glide like ice and have what feels like a much more precise tuning ratio. Would these be a direct swap into the Squire? I'm not looking to drill holes or widen existing holes - just a direct swap.

Ace38

Squier-holic
Jul 19, 2016
Tulsa, OK.
No. The tuners you want to put in are likely 10mm if we're talking a standard MIM tele. The ones you want to replace (which are great, that vintage style is far superior to modern sealed IMO) are 8mm. You can get locking style vintage tuners if you're desperate for lockers, but to put the ones you have now in would involve widening holes and drilling for locator pins.

SeaSquire

Squier Talker
Jul 4, 2022
Florida
No. The tuners you want to put in are likely 10mm if we're talking a standard MIM tele. The ones you want to replace (which are great, that vintage style is far superior to modern sealed IMO) are 8mm. You can get locking style vintage tuners if you're desperate for lockers, but to put the ones you have now in would involve widening holes and drilling for locator pins.
Thanks. No, not desperate for lockers....just had these left over and like them a lot but won't do anything that involves drilling or cutting. Loving the CVS too much to screw with anything that'll change it irreversibly.

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Silver Supporting Member
Oct 24, 2017
Western NY, USA

It's a Squier CV Esquire.

Jes Woodland

Squier-Meister
Sep 4, 2020
Nottingham UK
If anyone wants to drill out holes for machine heads just remember to clamp a piece of waste wood to the rear of the headstock while you are drilling through. This stops any splitting ,splinters or any spelching to the rear of the headstock and leaves a clean hole.