Squier Tele Advice

M T Poteet

Squier-Nut
Aug 17, 2021
CO
I am wanting a used (perhaps new) Squier Tele and I dont have any clue about the different models.

I built a tele kit and put a humbucker in the neck, and the traditional single coil in the bridge position and I really like that configuration.

I want a full thickness body and I like slimmer necks, but I can play chunkier necks.

I am also into more traditional colors, burst, natural, solid etc.........

Any advice would be appreciated.

duceditor

Squier-Axpert
May 29, 2014
The Monadnocks, NH USA
From the day I started playing Teles, back in the mid-sixties, I've favored a 'thicker' rhythm PUP than Fender typically uses. But the lead PUP, fr me, has to be pure, traditional, Tele.

My Affinity Tele looks stock, but the neck PUP on her is a Lace sensor with a thicker, close to HB, sound. I actually favor her for her thinner body. And her neck works just fine for me as well.

I have two other Teles, one an American-made Fender, the other a Squier Cabronita Tele with Bigsby.

These later, of course, have full thickness bodies. Both have nicely shaped -- neither "too thick" nor "too thin" -- necks.

The Cabby has a custom Rose-built bridge PUP -- one that sounds very much like the American Fender's. But it has a Gretsch type, Fender branded, Fideli'tron in the neck position, and that works beautifully for me.

These three guitars are so widely priced, from less than $200 all the way to near a grand and a half (today it'd be more), but each and every one is a wonderful player with a sound and feel of its own.

-don

Last edited:

Big tuna

Dr. Squier
Gold Supporting Member
May 6, 2014
east Tn
I can see a HB in neck but stay with the traditional bridge and pu you can't beat that set up. Just make sure neck pocket is routed big enough for hb or use a dremel and adjust to needs.

surf green

Squier-holic
Jul 15, 2014
RI
Be on the lookout for a Squier Standard Tele. They were available in sunburst, antique burst (red/black) and vintage white. Although they shipped with 2 single coils, the necks were routed for a HB. Necks were modern C profile. Great base for mods. Put a hot HB in the neck, use a push/pull tone pot, split the coils in the HB for single/HB and get the best of everything tone wise. DSCN5454.JPG

stratfreak

Squier-Meister
May 1, 2019
San Antonio, TX
I may have to try that on my next kit.

Squier has made one.
cxklypxzryhlhkdzrxti.jpg

M T Poteet

Squier-Nut
Aug 17, 2021
CO
Be on the lookout for a Squier Standard Tele. They were available in sunburst, antique burst (red/black) and vintage white. Although they shipped with 2 single coils, the necks were routed for a HB. Necks were modern C profile. Great base for mods. Put a hot HB in the neck, use a push/pull tone pot, split the coils in the HB for single/HB and get the best of everything tone wise. View attachment 241709
Do they have a full thickness body?

This is the look I'm after.
Thanks.

dpang2836

Squier-holic
Double Platinum Member
Jan 25, 2022
IDAHO
Do they have a full thickness body?

This is the look I'm after.
Thanks.
Yes, that is a big ass Pickguard and reason I never bought that Configuration. Keep an Eye out for a Body with the Universal Neck Cutout. P-90 and all down will fit. Then load it your way! My Bullet Tele has a large Rout in Neck. I just need to sell a few Partscaster's, then I don't mind upgrading after that. I don't have to, but it is in my Blood.:cool:

surf green

Squier-holic
Jul 15, 2014
RI
@M T Poteet the older Standards have 1 1/2" bodies (not sure of the cut off date), the newer ones are 1 3/4". Also the Standards were discontinued in the last yr or so. Most had the HB rout.