Squier JV Telecaster - real?

alabama_alma

Squier Talker
Sep 16, 2022
Germany
Hi everyone!

I am new here and have tried to do a search on the question at hand but haven’t found any answers. I might need some expert help ...

Here goes: I am looking to purchase this Squier JV Telecaster, supposedly from the early eighties. According to the information I have found here, everything looks good in the photos. It has the DM30 pickup switch and all cloth wiring. The headstock looks right and it has (almost ...) all slotted screws. The neck is stamped EX and is pencil dated 7 20 82 (or 83, it’s a bit hard to tell). There is no photo of the neck cavity.
First, I was put off by the fact that it has the serial number on the neck plate instead of the bridge, but that seems to have been normal for some of the early models, right? The Serial starts in JV10.

But: The neck is attached with Philips screws. So I am wondering: Did that happen sometimes? Has one of the owners of the guitar just changed the original screws to these (would that be a problem concerning the solidity of the neck connection)? Or is this not what it says it is?

I’d be very thankful for any help from the experts here.

Cheers! Bildschirmfoto 2022-09-17 um 12.02.06.png Bildschirmfoto 2022-09-17 um 12.00.51.jpg Bildschirmfoto 2022-09-17 um 12.01.30.jpg Bildschirmfoto 2022-09-17 um 12.01.45.jpg

Last edited:

Davis Sharp

Dr. Squier
‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎
Jan 7, 2016
Maryland, USA
I have added some photos now. I don’t even know if that is allowed, as they are not mine ...
No worries. We post photos all the time when we want authentication before buying.

Vintage tuners, round string-tree, 4 bolt neckplate with the serial number. Early JV Teles had the SN on the neckplate. It was moved to the bridge later. The JV10... SN is consistent with that.

I vote Yes.

More info at http://www.21frets.com/squier_jv/jvtelecaster.htm

dpang2836

Squier-holic
Gold Supporting Member
Jan 25, 2022
IDAHO
Not only is that Nice, it has a Better Switch and Wiring than my old 85-86 Japanese Fender Mahogany Thinline A-Series had. Kick myself in the A-- for selling that? Looks Real to me!:cool: I just looked at another 83 with the Phillips Head Neck Screws and same Wiring! Looks like those Screws haven't been taken off either. Sweet! TL-52's had the Slot Screws only, if I remember right?

Last edited:

Paruwi

Squier-holic
Apr 28, 2019
Kraut-Territory
I might need some expert help ..

Hi
Welcome here @ SquierTalk
wave.gif

kann dir leider nicht sagen ob die Gitte echt ist,
das überlasse ich den Squier-Gurus hier

aber der Preis ist heftig - um es freundlich auszudrücken

da war meine neue FGN (Kleinserie von 6 Stück) direkt aus Japan importiert
um mehrere Hunnies günstiger

FrieAsABird

Squier-Nut
Jan 25, 2022
Germany
Hi
Welcome here @ SquierTalk
View attachment 241214

kann dir leider nicht sagen ob die Gitte echt ist,
das überlasse ich den Squier-Gurus hier

aber der Preis ist heftig - um es freundlich auszudrücken

da war meine neue FGN (Kleinserie von 6 Stück) direkt aus Japan importiert
um mehrere Hunnies günstiger

Hab auch direkt gewusst, um welches Inserat es geht- 1600€ ist definitiv heftig! Naja, Mojo/ Vintage kostet halt…