Squier Jagmaster Project

dpang2836

Squier-holic
Double Platinum Member
Jan 25, 2022
IDAHO
Copper Shielding helps. I don't usually do my Pickguards, unless a Thinline Tele. They come with some attached around the Controls. Last time I used Copper, it was touching the bottom of Pickup Poles that stick out, so Bridge Pickup wasn't working. Of course I messed and re-did wiring in Cavity before finding problem? Just took a little Masking Tape over it. Problem gone!

VealCutlet

Squier-holic
Silver Supporting Member
Aug 9, 2011
Brookyn, NYC
Welcome @ginsley. I have a noisy VM Jazzmaster. It had shielding paint and adequate grounding. I copper taped the cavity, grounded the shielding, and shielded the PG (with continuity between the cavity shield and PG) - it was still noisy. Changing from the stock, hi output DD JM pickups helped.

dpang2836

Squier-holic
Double Platinum Member
Jan 25, 2022
IDAHO
Hey @VealCutlet ! What Pickups did you change to? We were wondering if you could come over for "Dinner"! Being 1/2 Italian I was going to make Veal Parmigiana (Ha, Ha)!

Last edited:

Ginsly

Squier Talker
Mar 7, 2022
Midwest
Welcome @ginsley. I have a noisy VM Jazzmaster. It had shielding paint and adequate grounding. I copper taped the cavity, grounded the shielding, and shielded the PG (with continuity between the cavity shield and PG) - it was still noisy. Changing from the stock, hi output DD JM pickups helped.
Huh. So you had noise problems with the Duncan Designed humbuckers as well? They are pretty hot, and it makes sense that they would pick up more electro-garbage in the air I guess. Still, I'm surprised a humbucker is this noisy (especially when you add some gain/dirt to the equation). I'm conflicted about going through with the copper shielding, as I've heard the improvements are minimal - sounds like this was your experience too. Others swear by it. Hmm. What pickups did you install?

VealCutlet

Squier-holic
Silver Supporting Member
Aug 9, 2011
Brookyn, NYC
@dpang2836 - Next time I’m in Idaho I’ll drop by and you can cook me some Parm!

@Ginsly - I cheated with the pickups. I snuck some DiMarzio Virtual Vintage noiseless Strat pickups under the JM covers. They are not as sparkly as the PureVintage 65s in my Fender Classic Player, but not as dark as the stock pickups in my CV JM.

I had a Jagmaster with humbuckers…never had a noise issue.