Squier Jagmaster Project

Mr Bob

Squier-holic
Nov 11, 2011
Bedfordshire
Just completed some upgrades on my Jagmaster, a Chinese 2nd series with longer scale neck.

Have had this one for a few years and decided it was time for a few changes, so it went from this

20201220-105542.jpg

to this...

20201229-132148.jpg

Upgrades as follows:
  • Bridge sadles swapped out for solid block units
  • Pickups replaced with Entwistle HV-58 alnico humbuckers
  • Custom made mint green scratchplate
  • Coil tap for both pups on push-pull volume knob
  • series/parallel switch on push-pull tone knob
  • Orange drop cap

Last edited:

Mr Bob

Squier-holic
Nov 11, 2011
Bedfordshire
While it was apart, noticed there was no shielding at all on the massive body cavity, so having lots of capper foil tape to hand I also did a full shielding job on the body cavity - started like this

20201220-112156.jpg

Ended up like this...

20201220-123357.jpg

Also gave the frets a polish and treated the fretboard to a few coats of walnut oil while it was stripped down.

grizzlewulf

Squier-holic
Dec 11, 2020
Lucerne, California
Very cool, good job! Pick guard looks great.

It's striking to me how similar these are stock to the Affinity HH Jazzmasters, the bridge/trem is about the only real difference. Not sure if the neck profile is super different. But it's the same concept otherwise...offset, 25.5 scale neck, humbuckers. Big swimming pool route.

SteveP4172

Squier Talker
Feb 12, 2020
USA
Just completed some upgrades on my Jagmaster, a Chinese 2nd series with longer scale neck.

Have had this one for a few years and decided it was time for a few changes, so it went from this

20201220-105542.jpg

to this...

20201229-132148.jpg

Upgrades as follows:
  • Bridge sadles swapped out for solid block units
  • Pickups replaced with Entwistle HV-58 alnico humbuckers
  • Custom made mint green scratchplate
  • Coil tap for both pups on push-pull volume knob
  • series/parallel switch on push-pull tone knob
  • Orange drop cap
Looks great, may I ask where you got the pickguard from ? The new mods looks fantastic, congrats !

Ginsly

Squier Talker
Mar 7, 2022
Midwest
@Mr Bob - Lookin great! I have an '08-ish Jagmaster, and I'm finding it to be quite noisy for a humbucker-equipped guitar. Some of it is EMI in my environment, so I'm setting up to shield the cavity with copper tape like you did. Do you have any pictures of the underside of the pickguard? I take it you also covered that? I'm trying to do this correctly so it doesn't turn into an antenna for MORE noise! Ha.. Sounds like if you cover the underside of the pickguard with foil, the contact that is made when you secure the pots back on is enough to ground the shield- right? Thanks for any tips! I just found this forum, looks like I'll learn a lot.

dpang2836

Squier-holic
Double Platinum Member
Jan 25, 2022
IDAHO
@Mr Bob - Lookin great! I have an '08-ish Jagmaster, and I'm finding it to be quite noisy for a humbucker-equipped guitar. Some of it is EMI in my environment, so I'm setting up to shield the cavity with copper tape like you did. Do you have any pictures of the underside of the pickguard? I take it you also covered that? I'm trying to do this correctly so it doesn't turn into an antenna for MORE noise! Ha.. Sounds like if you cover the underside of the pickguard with foil, the contact that is made when you secure the pots back on is enough to ground the shield- right? Thanks for any tips! I just found this forum, looks like I'll learn a lot.
You like picking Old Forums?

dpang2836

Squier-holic
Double Platinum Member
Jan 25, 2022
IDAHO
Last Post was Jan 2021. You just need to look at the Date. I noticed you on another old Thread. Better to start a new one vs getting on one a year or 2 old.:cool:

Ginsly

Squier Talker
Mar 7, 2022
Midwest
This is the only thread I've posted on. My question is relevant to this exact thread, so why would I start a new one? Hopefully the OP will chime in, and if not I'll just start a new one. Reviving a year-old thread is no biggie. Now a 5 or 10 year old thread.. that's a different story. Thanks for your concern.

Hadronic Spin

Affinity Rulez!
Jan 27, 2021
Los Angeles
This is the only thread I've posted on. My question is relevant to this exact thread, so why would I start a new one? Hopefully the OP will chime in, and if not I'll just start a new one. Reviving a year-old thread is no biggie. Now a 5 or 10 year old thread.. that's a different story. Thanks for your concern.

@Ginsly , don't sweat it, your golden.

By the way, welcome to ST! If you feel so inclined, hop over to New Member Introductions https://www.squier-talk.com/forums/new-member-introductions.12/ and introduce yourself. No worries if you don't, but if you do, we want pictures!

Regards

Jason