Squier ‘51 questions

TheBoss72

Squier-Meister
Jan 4, 2022
Ohio
I have an opportunity to grab a first generation one (without string through body). My questions to the experts;
1 Which generation had a larger feeling neck?
2 What’s a good top loading tele ashtray type bridge with brass saddles that would fit while covering any original drill holes?
3 Has anyone drilled holes through theirs to make it string through?

Thanks

Guitarmageddon

Squier-Axpert
Sep 27, 2014
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
I have an opportunity to grab a first generation one (without string through body). My questions to the experts;
1 Which generation had a larger feeling neck?
2 What’s a good top loading tele ashtray type bridge with brass saddles that would fit while covering any original drill holes?
3 Has anyone drilled holes through theirs to make it string through?

Thanks

1 - the first generation
2 - none, they will all show gaps and holes.....
3 - some have but I haven't

surf green

Squier-holic
Jul 15, 2014
RI
1st gen had perhaps the chunkiest profile of all Squiers. But by no means a "ball bat" profile. The 2nd gen had the "modern C" profile. Tests done on string-thru teles, have shown near no increase in sustain over hard tails. I would pass on trying to "create" a string-thru.

dpang2836

Squier-holic
Gold Supporting Member
Jan 25, 2022
IDAHO
Hey Boss! I don't know about the Neck Specs, but the Bridge I know about and hard to find any better Quality. Saddles is a good Idea. I did do a String-Through on a Tele Body with success. I have a Jig for Back Holes. Choice of Bridges would expand to like a Gotoh, which is only String-Through. A Wilkinson 1/2 Bridge with 3 Compensated Brass is another fine Bridge! Can be Top Loaded. 4 Screw Holes instead of 3. Those 4 Screw Holes need to be above those 3 Bottom Holes to Intonate Properly. Old Holes should be covered. Low E String Nut to Saddle Groove 25.5". Somebody showed doing your Bridge with the Wilk, but don't know who!:cool:

HSH Classic Vibe

Squier-Meister
May 28, 2022
Republic of Squierland
So... Is it possible to get a Squier 51 pickguard in something other than black for a reasonable price or did that dream die in like 2014?

And does no one mod these anymore, or are there simply none left to mod? ;)