SQ CST30S or not¿

Dunnbag

Squier Talker
Apr 9, 2017
Australia
Hey guys..
I'm wondering if I could get your thoughts and any info on this SQ Strat!? It was advertised as an SQ CST 30-S but I can't find any others with these tuners.. It's SQ19xxx serial number so early on and I'm thinking late '83!¿ (correct me if I'm wrong, those numbers do seem random) Non slotted tuners but why? Cheap alternative - maybe utilising old stock through the transition? or simply changed by a previous owner? Also, any ideas of the body wood for these cheaper models (if it is so)? I love the maple from this period and Fujigen altogether! Thanks for any stories advice and knowledge and I'm wishing some happy creative playing to you all!! 😊

Dunnbag

Squier Talker
Apr 9, 2017
Australia
Screenshot_20220525-230226_Reverb.jpg
They look like the 1984 downgraded trapezoid 8mm tuners that were found on later models.....

How much is it?
Oh ok, I couldn't find any, out of what I've trawled the internet for - most higher serial numbers seem to have slotted (early) or unslotted Fender Japan tuners.. It was listed for 1k Aud. It was through a store on consignment and... .. I guess I'll find out when I pop the neck off next week.. 😬

Guitarmageddon

Squier-Axpert
Sep 27, 2014
Canada
View attachment 234289

Oh ok, I couldn't find any, out of what I've trawled the internet for - most higher serial numbers seem to have slotted (early) or unslotted Fender Japan tuners.. It was listed for 1k Aud. It was through a store on consignment and... .. I guess I'll find out when I pop the neck off next week.. 😬

Yep, that's the classic circa 1984 trapezoid tuners with 8mm shafts usually found on A serial guitars.....but some late SQ's too.....

Dunnbag

Squier Talker
Apr 9, 2017
Australia
Damn, I'm hoping for another '83 baby!
So the serial numbers are just all over the place? I was thinking this would be an early one, being SQ1xxxx and SQ5x etc would be later. My Tele is SQ01 and it's dated Aug '83.

Guitarmageddon

Squier-Axpert
Sep 27, 2014
Canada
Damn, I'm hoping for another '83 baby!
So the serial numbers are just all over the place? I was thinking this would be an early one, being SQ1xxxx and SQ5x etc would be later. My Tele is SQ01 and it's dated Aug '83.

I didn't say it's not from 1983 - there is no way of knowing without looking for a neck heel date.....

How much is this??

stratmanshow

Squier-Meister
Feb 7, 2014
BC Canada
There are 2 types of specs for JV & SQ Squiers i.e. those for export or domestic. The CST is "current" ST for the time. I've seen lots of domestic ST30's with those can cover tuners so I would guess that yours is a made for Japan sometime during 83. You can actually replace those with 70 RI tuners to hide the holes and not have to enlarge the post holes, but unfortunately they aren't that great of an upgrade. In any case, I would get rid of those
Edit. for info on Squiers of all types, view this pdf https://medias.audiofanzine.com/files/squier-specs-473238.pdf

Last edited:

archetype

Squier-holic
Silver Supporting Member
Oct 24, 2017
Western NY, USA
There are 2 types of specs for JV & SQ Squiers i.e. those for export or domestic. The CST is "current" ST for the time. I've seen lots of domestic ST30's with those can cover tuners so I would guess that yours is a made for Japan sometime during 83. You can actually replace those with 70 RI tuners to hide the holes and not have to enlarge the post holes, but unfortunately they aren't that great of an upgrade. In any case, I would get rid of those
Edit. for info on Squiers of all types, view this pdf https://medias.audiofanzine.com/files/squier-specs-473238.pdf

That .pdf is good info, but is no longer corrected or updated. Try the more-current Squier Wiki.

Dunnbag

Squier Talker
Apr 9, 2017
Australia
Hey all, sorry for the delay..
I've been too busy playing!! :)
So this CST30S (anyone know what the S means?) has the serial SQ19xxx and is dated 2-11 '84 on the neck.. It has a few dings but it looks like it's only played open chords in its life so I've definitely been giving the whole 'board a bit of a workout.. ;) I'm happy with it.. Soo much Strat vibes! I do feel like I fall off the high E if I'm giving too much vibrato but that's just something to be careful of with this guitar - the Tele I do feel a little cramped with some open chords but the Strat less so..
Other than that I'm so happy I completed the pair! I can finally stop searching lol..
(Just need an SG to match my Greco LP! ;)

Please feel free to comment and offer at any advice or stories!! I was hoping here to add to the knowledge of the timeline of SQ guitars online, in hopes that it could help others in their pursuit/s..

In saying that, I do have a few questions..
Does anyone know where the best place is to get black volume and tone knobs, a whammy bar, as well as all new screws for the pick guard and PUPs etc? Are there any conversion issues with just getting generic parts or do I need to consider Japanese only parts? (Sorry very newbie sounding!) And also on the tuners, would the older style slotted tuners fit?

Other than that please share any stories of Fujigen guitars, I personally have 5 and love them all. Happy productive paying to you all and take care.. Cheers from the Blue Mountains Australia!

Attachments

• 20220603_010513.jpg
    20220603_010513.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 4

Dunnbag

Squier Talker
Apr 9, 2017
Australia
Thanks for the response!
Are these the slotted Fender Japan tuners?
I'd be keen for them if anyone knows if they are a fit? Also, this model would have the cheaper PUPS.. Any suggestions?

Dunnbag

Squier Talker
Apr 9, 2017
Australia
Thanks for the response!
Are these the slotted Fender Japan tuners?
I'd be keen for them if anyone knows if they are a fit? Also, this model would have the cheaper PUPS.. Any suggestions
Great looking guitars!

Here in the US, I get a lot of my small miscellaneous parts from these guys. Not sure if that helps you in Australia or not.

I’m not sure of the model number, but my SQ is dated 1983. It’s a very nice guitar!

View attachment 236868 View attachment 236869 View attachment 236870
Lovely! Looks real tidy!! Yeah I'd say late '83..
Mine actually had "30" in the neck heal so must have been designated as a CST30..