Smoke of the Waterpipe (fingerpicking variation on Smoke on the Water)

yegbert

Squier-Meister
Dec 12, 2009
Clinton, Maryland USA
I caught a whiff of that smoke. Very nice!

Incidentally, what’s going on those leopard spots? Could you post some pics of that guitar? I’ve toyed with getting a pickguard for a Tele with that pattern, you might push me over that edge!

grizzlewulf

Squier-holic
Dec 11, 2020
Lucerne, California
Yeah one of those "covers" that leaves the original tune pretty much unrecognizable. Knowing going in that it's a take on Smoke on the Water, I could kinda hear the outline of chords/melodies, but if I didn't know that ahead of time it never would have occurred to me.

And that's ok, because it's a fine tune in its own right, played very adeptly. Skills well beyond me at display here, that's for sure.

Vladan

Squier-Nut
Sep 30, 2012
Serbia
That was GREAT I enjoyed every second of it . Bravo !!!

Great playing, but I didn't hear anything reminiscent of Smoke On The Water, which is fine by me.

Incidentally, what’s going on those leopard spots? Could you post some pics of that guitar? I’ve toyed with getting a pickguard for a Tele with that pattern, you might push me over that edge!

Yeah one of those "covers" that leaves the original tune pretty much unrecognizable. Knowing going in that it's a take on Smoke on the Water, I could kinda hear the outline of chords/melodies, but if I didn't know that ahead of time it never would have occurred to me.

And that's ok, because it's a fine tune in its own right, played very adeptly. Skills well beyond me at display here, that's for sure.

Beautiful tune and very nicely played. But I too saw nothing recognizable to SOTW.

Thank You all, for listening and positive comments. Thank you very much!

I will address "similarity issues" and guitar looks in separate posts, probably later today, or soon enough.

Vladan

Squier-Nut
Sep 30, 2012
Serbia
FYI. I don't drink alcohol or intoxicate my body in any form.

I hope you understand, it was a joke in good will.

FYI, I do not use waterpipes, don't (ab)use "weed" in any way, let alone heavier stuff. To be honest, I did take a puff about 4 years ago.
So, when you said, with a smile, that tune was unrecognizable due too much waterpipe, I responded, with a smile, that it probably was you who was using it.
Also, I only have a beer once in a while and smoke tobacco total about 5 - 10 cigarettes per year (sometimes just can't resist).

Vladan

Squier-Nut
Sep 30, 2012
Serbia

Cool guitar, too

Leopard spots are just leftovers of self adhesive paper, after my wife and daughter went "creative", re-decorating some drawers, back in 2010.
Later, daughter added Hello Kitty one and another one with hand written "Love you, dad".

Guitar is Squier Tele, MIJ, E (6) series, late 1986 - early 1987, I bought it in March 1987.
Electronics and PUs are original, except that neck PU was rewound at some point. I somehow managed to cut the wire btw coil and plastic base, so I gave it for repair to some DIY speakers guy. He told me that "PU is now stronger than original", whatever that means.
I removed original flat bridge plate with 6 "L" shaped saddles and installed Wilkinson with 3 compensated brass saddles.
Then, when I went for GK3, I split bridge plate in 2, actually cut out stripe of metal, so that GK3 could sit lower, on the wood, so that strings action would remain as low as possible. After a while, I removed the part of plate around PU. Effectively, it is "half bridge" now.

Attachments

• 011020124722.jpg
    011020124722.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 091220124866.jpg
    091220124866.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20201022_090152.jpg
    IMG_20201022_090152.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20201022_090221.jpg
    IMG_20201022_090221.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20220618_124854.jpg
    IMG_20220618_124854.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 6

Vladan

Squier-Nut
Sep 30, 2012
Serbia
Unrecognizable. Too much time spent on the pipe.:)

Great playing, but I didn't hear anything reminiscent of Smoke On The Water, which is fine by me.

Beautiful tune and very nicely played. But I too saw nothing recognizable to SOTW.

Regarding above quoted comments, tune not being recognizable enough and so on. I have no problem with that. Obviously, it is not meant to be a cover, but rather variation.
Anyway, for the sake of showing where the similarity is, here's the TAB of what I (approximately) play in the intro, 1st part of the verse and 1st part of the chorus. I really do not have enough time to make complete TAB, but hopefully this will be enough to outline the general idea of the piece, what I was thinking while making it happen. Some may even find it an useful lesson.

BTW, in my recording
- "verse" is made of 4 parts, or lines, like in original.
- "Chorus" is extended to 6 parts, that is 6 repeats of "Smoooooke on the waaateer ..." (in the original, there 2 repeats).

SOW TAB.JPG

M T Poteet

Squier-Meister
Aug 17, 2021
CO
I also have no problem with that, that was exactly my point I said "Great playing, but I didn't hear anything reminiscent of Smoke On The Water, which is fine by me."
I was a huge Deep Purple fan before Smoke on The Water, but if I never hear that song again it will be too soon.
You didn't have to post tabs on my account.

Latest posts