Show us your Artist Model Squiers, now that they are ALL discontinued

HSH Classic Vibe

Squier-Meister
May 28, 2022
US
Why do you call Ryan Jarman’s post whiny?
Because he wants a cut when (and his brother) already got a cut of every one ever sold, and he's acting like he feels bad that the poor working man can't afford his guitar even though having HIS name on it made it more expensive to begin with. He's also whining about the price of used equipment. How is that Fender's fault? Maybe if they were a more popular band, they might have sold more. Or maybe if their music appealed to people who had better educations, they might have sold more. Again, how is that Fender's fault? Fender doesn't make a penny on the used market, and these sold so poorly that I didn't even notice them when I was making my original list of artist models. They haven't made that guitar in half a decade. It was a one-year wonder because it didn't sell. What he really wants is to start getting paid by Fender again, and he's trying to claim to be doing it for the poor guitarists that can't afford his signature model and must not have been able to in 2016 when they were introduced. That's so disingenuous.

otisblove

Squier-holic
Aug 19, 2016
Central Indiana
I’d never heard of him before you mentioned him.

The comment about wanting more money when he found out what they were selling for has a crying laughing emoji after it, which is indicative of someone telling you by way of emoji that they’ve said something they personally find or mean to be humorous.

I could be wrong, of course. 🤷‍♂️

HSH Classic Vibe

Squier-Meister
May 28, 2022
US
I missed a pair of Japanese Squiers of the band SCANDAL (not to be confused with Patty Smyth (not to be confused with Patti Smith) featuring Scandal):

HARUNA:

「The neck was designed to fit my small hands. When I play a regular Telecaster, the sharp angle of the body hits my hips, which can be uncomfortable. This problem is rectified by creating a contoured edge at the back of the guitar making it more comfortable when I use it for live performances. It's also easy for girls to play. It stands out even from far away, and features a design that any gender can use. Of course, this is a model I can recommend to beginners as well.」

Squier by Fender「HARUNA TELECASTER DARK SILVER SPARKLE」
"Skullsilver"

・MSRP: 60,000 yen + tax
SCANDAL's Signature Squier instruments H7ybbWN

Specifications
・Colors : Silver Flake Sparkle w/ Original Graphic Design
・Body : Basswood w/ Body Back Contour
・Neck : Maple, C-Shape (Gloss Polyurethane, Vintage Tint)
・Fingerboard :Maple, 9.5" Radius (241mm)
・No. of Frets : 21F, Medium Jumbo
・Pickups : 2 Chrome Covered Humbuckers
・Controls : Volume, Tone, 3 Way Blade Switch
・Switching : Position 1. Bridge Pickup / Position 2. Bridge and Neck Pickups / Position 3. Neck Pickup"
・Bridge : Vintage Style 6-Saddle Strings-Thru-Body Hardtail Bridge
・Machine Heads : Vintage Style Chrome Tuners
・Hardware : Chrome
・Pickguard : 3-Ply Black/White/Black
・Scale Length : 25.5"(648 mm)
・Width at Nut : 1.625"(41.3mm)
・Unique Features : Skirted Black and Chrome Amp Control Knobs / Bridge pickup w/ PU Ring / Body Back Contour / Autographed signature is printed on back of the headstock"
・Strings :NPS, Gauges: .009, .011, .016, .024, .032, .042

MAMI:

「This guitar features three pickups, with a humbucker at the bridge position only (the neck and middle pickups are single coil). It has a very low tone and a thick sound that is neither that of a Strat nor a Jazzmaster. It distorts sound pleasantly without breaking it down, which makes it perfect for when you want to play high-intensity songs. It also suppresses the "painful" parts when you're playing clean, high-pitched tones!」

Squier by Fender「MAMI JAZZMASTER PEARL WHITE」
"Stratomaster"

・MSRP: 60,000 yen + tax
SCANDAL's Signature Squier instruments Dczcx4v

Specifications
・Colors : Pearl White w/ Original Graphic Design
・Body : Basswood
・Neck : Maple, C-Shape (Gloss Polyurethane, Vintage Tint)
・Fingerboard : Rosewood, 9.5 Radius (241 mm)
・No. of Frets : 21 Jumbo
・Pickups: 2 x Single Coil Strat Pickups w/Black PU covers(Neck & Middle) 1 x Duncan Designed HR-101 Hot Rails Pickup w/Black PU cover(Bridge)
・Controls : Volume, Tone, 5 Way Blade Switch
・Switching : 5 Way Blade Switch (Position 1. Bridge Pickup / Position 2. Bridge and Center Pickup / Position 3. Center Pickup / Position 4. Center and Neck Pickup / Position 5. Neck Pickup)
・Bridge : Adjusto-Matic Bridge with Vintage Style Floating Tremolo Tailpiece
・Machine Heads : Vintage Style Tuning Machines
・Hardware : Chrome
・Pickguard : White Pearl
・Scale Length :25.5" (648 mm)
・Width at Nut : 1.650"(42 mm)
・Unique Features : Pearl White w/ Original Graphic Design / Matching Headstock / Autographed signature is printed on back of the headstock"
・Strings :Fender USA, NPS (.010 to .046)

MyLittleEye

Squier Talker
Jan 13, 2021
Kew
Here's my Ryan Jarman sig MusUar
I'm not too precious about it being collectible; I aim to put a Creamery Black Cat HB Sized Filtertron in the bridge and a Sonic '60 'Twin Sound' Coil Tap in the neck, as much for the bling as for the sound ;-) The idea is to wire it up to match the super versatile tone switching on my Pawnshop series Mustang Special.

Musuar+Pignose-LoRes.jpg

Ace38

Squier-holic
Staff member
Jul 19, 2016
Tulsa, OK.
Here's my 07 Lavigne, bought brand new this past June. No, really, it still had the original plastics on the pickguard and pickup, original strings and packed in the original shipping box. I saw a picture online of Avril playing one at a concert and noticed hers had a Seymour Duncan humbucker on it. No way of knowing which one other than it wasn't an Invader, but I went with a Duncan Distortion to make it more "Avril correct".

Avril.jpg

Shaytan

Squier-holic
Apr 10, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Oh wow, I'm really late to the party. No more artist series Squiers? Now that's some BS...

I've always wanted a J5 Tele, the frost gold one particularly looks awesome, though I'm not the biggest fan of Teles. These budget brands have always benefited from artist partnerships IMO, after all you pair youngster idols with affordable guitars to many teens' pockets.

Many brands including the likes of Harley Benton keep on betting on that, with the growing budget competition, the narrowing of offerings from Squier and, dare I say, its dropping quality reputation over these past couple of years, I wonder whether this was a shoot in the foot for the brand.

jdean074

Squier-Meister
Jan 1, 2022
Ashtabula OH
I'm certain that many of you have this book. It emphasizes multiple times that Squier has had more latitude to throw crazy ideas off the wall and see what sticks, compared to Fender producing their tried & trues. With this news here, sounds to me like Squiers will fill the slot of MIM Fenders, and all Fender will have is super top shelf, blues attorney offerings. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz ......

Yep @Shaytan I keep seeing more & more very enthusiastic reviews of Harley Bentons. Getting hard to ignore them -- A total shot in foot, I concur

KIMG1629.JPG

Sweet Avril tele @Ace38 - here's a mention of that one, next to the Derek Whibley tele "deluxe"?? Also a dope guitar, I was in high school during this heyday. It was seemingly punishable by death for a pop-punk band back then to sport anything more than a bridge pickup -- green day, sum 41, delonge sig, avril sig... I dig that style though "all killer no filler"
KIMG1630.JPG

Squier has really been doing the music world a service with these inspired designs over the years. Anyone ever seen one of these in the wild
KIMG1631.JPG

I can't stand Slash but ok that's a funny photo
KIMG1632.JPG

Here's my favorite Squier artist model. Controversial inception. Do I have it right that Courtney Love stole the design of a guitar called Mercury and even had the nerve to also name her guitar after a planet?? In any case, Venus XII in green is my Mount Everest.
KIMG1633.JPG

Tele-kitty

Squier-Nut
Dec 12, 2016
Florida
Nice Jim Root! I’m looking for another one with a rosewood fretboard. Lemme know if you ever want to sell yours.

I’ll post pics of my John 5 and Jim Root soon :)
Thank you ☺️

I'll keep it in mind, but it's my favorite and #1 so odds are not good that I'll ever let it go. 😎

HSH Classic Vibe

Squier-Meister
May 28, 2022
US
Oh wow, I'm really late to the party. No more artist series Squiers? Now that's some BS...

I've always wanted a J5 Tele, the frost gold one particularly looks awesome, though I'm not the biggest fan of Teles. These budget brands have always benefited from artist partnerships IMO, after all you pair youngster idols with affordable guitars to many teens' pockets.

Many brands including the likes of Harley Benton keep on betting on that, with the growing budget competition, the narrowing of offerings from Squier and, dare I say, its dropping quality reputation over these past couple of years, I wonder whether this was a shoot in the foot for the brand.
I see what you're doing. No, Harley Benton is not knocking it out of the park with their cheap knockoffs and Squier's reputation has never been better. I know some clowns on here are trying to ruin Squier's reputation by claiming that the old CVs are better quality, but that is complete BS. Even on the low end, the Affinitys and Bullets have never been better, so much so that an ageing rocker who can afford anything just toured with a 2020 Bullet Strat. You can spread nonsense like that on Youtube comments forums, but it doesn't wash here. When Harley Benton makes a guitar that is even as good as an Affinity Squier, I'll let you know. And when HB makes a guitar that sells for more used than it sold for new (like most Squiers of the past decade), Reverb will let you know. Of course that isn't going to happen. And with the huge shipping cost from Thomann to the US, one would have to be nuts to buy an overpriced junk guitar from HB instead of a real Fender Squier.

We got the Paranormal series and the PAIR of 40th Anniversary models as the artist series models were discontinued. MOST of us prefer that. Hell, I had never heard of any of the Squier artists until I saw their guitars. I think the series was a waste of time and money. Fender obviously agrees. Maybe the next angry tatted teenage guitarist with a minor hit will sign a deal with Grote, IYV or HB. As a Squier fan, I won't lose sleep.

For the rest of you, if you wonder how poor the support for the inferior HB guitars is, check this fun video out.

Shaytan

Squier-holic
Apr 10, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
I see what you're doing. No, Harley Benton is not knocking it out of the park with their cheap knockoffs and Squier's reputation has never been better. I know some clowns on here are trying to ruin Squier's reputation by claiming that the old CVs are better quality, but that is complete BS. Even on the low end, the Affinitys and Bullets have never been better, so much so that an ageing rocker who can afford anything just toured with a 2020 Bullet Strat. You can spread nonsense like that on Youtube comments forums, but it doesn't wash here. When Harley Benton makes a guitar that is even as good as an Affinity Squier, I'll let you know. And when HB makes a guitar that sells for more used than it sold for new (like most Squiers of the past decade), Reverb will let you know. Of course that isn't going to happen. And with the huge shipping cost from Thomann to the US, one would have to be nuts to buy an overpriced junk guitar from HB instead of a real Fender Squier.

We got the Paranormal series and the PAIR of 40th Anniversary models as the artist series models were discontinued. MOST of us prefer that. Hell, I had never heard of any of the Squier artists until I saw their guitars. I think the series was a waste of time and money. Fender obviously agrees. Maybe the next angry tatted teenage guitarist with a minor hit will sign a deal with Grote, IYV or HB. As a Squier fan, I won't lose sleep.

For the rest of you, if you wonder how poor the support for the inferior HB guitars is, check this fun video out.

Wow, here's yet another example of the known exceptions of the usual mindset of constructive criticism and appreciation of an instrument's value beyond the brand on the headstock.

Perhaps you should re-read my OP, particularly the part where I say HB is betting on that, as in, signature series models. Is it a marketing gimmick? Betcha it is. Are you paying a premium for some guy's name on the back of the headstock? Indeed you are. Isn't Fender/Squier selling models that are clearly takes on famous musicians' guitars, upcharging them (call it inflation, the rise in prices predates the growing economical crisis we're currently living and I find no need to defend multi-million dollar corporations) while not paying the artists any money? They are.

It's very demeaning of you the implied comment in regard to rising artists. That'd be equivalent of me to say that a company focusing on failed, broke midlife crisis living room players may not be the best long-term sales strategy. Maybe we're all better off listening to the angry tatted teenage guitarists of the 80s when you were presumably an angry teenager yourself, that being the epitome of music, I reckon? The difference between the likes of Schecter, Ibanez, PRS or Epiphone and the current mindset of Squier is that the first not only support growing artists, also establish a new consumer base among new players, but thank God you, a Squier fan, cares not about that.

I won't say HB is the best budget brand around, starting with the fact I don't own nor I have owned any of their stuff - yet. Friends and bandmates of mine (angry tatted young adults, perhaps) do, from basses to amps, and have a great experience with them for the price. Not as good as top of the line Squier products, but not nearly at their price, either - and I'd say they match if not surpass what Squier offers at the very lowest-end.

In regard to the QC issues some point out in Squier production models made amid and after the pandemic, then perhaps some of our own fellow members are only full of BS. These folks buy an instrument with their own money, come to us, a relatively small corner of the web, expressing their concerns, but in reality that's all a plot to stain the brand's image. Does that sound fair or reasonable of you to claim? Take off your pink-colored glasses and get a grip, man.

Robbmonster

Squier-holic
Apr 17, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
I couldn't make it past

"I truly had never heard of any of the artists before I learned of their instruments."

... before I had to chime in.

You had never even heard of Avril Lavigne or Hank Marvin at the very least???

And unless you live in utter isolation, I GUARANTEE you have heard Sk8er Boi or Apache (or some cover of it) at least once in your life.

Oh, and cool thread, by the way :)

edit: I wrote 'threat' instead of 'thread'. Could be taken badly ;)

Davis Sharp

Dr. Squier
‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎
Jan 7, 2016
Maryland, USA
And with the huge shipping cost from Thomann to the US, one would have to be nuts to buy an overpriced junk guitar from HB instead of a real Fender Squier.
Thomann/HB has a warehouse in the US now.

My HB TE-90QM feels and plays as good as my Squier Affinity Tele. And for $180 (when I bought it), the HB has bound f-holes. That's an elegant touch on a budget guitar.

Latest posts