"She Loves You"- the Surfrajettes version by young guitarist and dad

PangPang

Squier-Meister
Jul 17, 2020
Macau
Sounds like she's going to be a pro musician when she grows up! When can I sign up for the fan club? 😆😁👍🤙
hahaha...she is goofing around. It beats playing with the phone non-stop all day. I hope it's something good, as kids nowadays, well, even us, sometimes we spend too much time using the smartphone. No fan club, as she doesn't even have a FB acct or instagram yet, but I DO dream that perhaps one day, we want to start a surf music club here, its gonna be a coffee joint or a live music house, and hope that more people will enjoy playing and listening to live surf music again in our town. Of course, they can come and enjoy coffee, snacks or a drink too. That'd be like a good idea for her I think. ;-)

PangPang

Squier-Meister
Jul 17, 2020
Macau
With the original pups, it sounds a bit more shimmery sparkly bright (think the audible equivalent of glitter floating thru the air). However, I do not know if my guitar is typical of the Beach Banana, as I've as yet to see or hear another one that is completely stock. In fact I do not know whether the existing pups it came to me with are the originals. It's a 38 years old guitar so I'm considering it as original with a Mitoizumi the "Salt Shaker" sized handful of salt, at least until I do a detailed breakdown examination of it...probably when it's it's turn on the upgrade bench. I'm thinking of trying a set of Surf Strat pups from Seymour Duncan, from what I've heard of this set, it seems to be a very versatile single-coil set.
The Strat pups from Seymour Duncan, I guess that'd be something like the lipstick PUPs I have with my Squier Strat. ;-) With the Kanana, I feel that if one day we play with them, the whole band needs to be using the same type, and that we will have to wear uniform. At least that's what I have seen with surf bands from Japan. ;-)

Lanaka

Squier-holic
Feb 11, 2020
Honolulu, HI
The Strat pups from Seymour Duncan, I guess that'd be something like the lipstick PUPs I have with my Squier Strat. ;-) With the Kanana, I feel that if one day we play with them, the whole band needs to be using the same type, and that we will have to wear uniform. At least that's what I have seen with surf bands from Japan. ;-)

Actually, the Surf Strats are normal single coil Strat pups that's been specifically voiced by Seymour Duncan for the 60s tone for use in rock, surf, country and blues.

16520530988697259083847413941927.jpg

Because my Beach Banana is in such excellent condition, I'm going to get the unaged version. That'd matches the still very white pickguard.
SC-300T+GA-10-(2000²).jpg
Even now I'm unsure whether the pup covers are original or not. I'll take a peek since I broke the hi-E string last nite, during my next string change. I'll report back on what I find under the pickguard. I'm going to up the strings from 9s to 10s.

PangPang

Squier-Meister
Jul 17, 2020
Macau
Actually, the Surf Strats are normal single coil Strat pups that's been specifically voiced by Seymour Duncan for the 60s tone for use in rock, surf, country and blues.

View attachment 232859

Because my Beach Banana is in such excellent condition, I'm going to get the unaged version. That'd matches the still very white pickguard.
View attachment 232860
Even now I'm unsure whether the pup covers are original or not. I'll take a peek since I broke the hi-E string last nite, during my next string change. I'll report back on what I find under the pickguard. I'm going to up the strings from 9s to 10s.

Oh, so these are different ones, not the same as the lipstick PUPs i have. Mine say "Duncan Designed" on the lipstick like casing...

Lanaka

Squier-holic
Feb 11, 2020
Honolulu, HI
Oh, so these are different ones, not the same as the lipstick PUPs i have. Mine say "Duncan Designed" on the lipstick like casing...

Ah, those lipsticks are likely similar to this lipstick pup...

DRHA_NeckPup-RCZ(3000x2000).jpg

It's installed on this guitar...

IMG_20220119_041919.jpg

Yes, for real, I have one of these. It's a 2007 Daisy Rock Heartbreaker Artist with a basswood heart shaped body bolted to a maple/rosewood neck. Surprisingly, it's a good guitar, certainly better than what I expected! Neck is slightly slim and thinner than normal because it's been sized to fit the smaller hands on a typical young lady. Which is great cuz I have small hands, LOL! Also, that heart-shaped body is surprisingly ergonomic, it's shape is effectively a forearm contour cut.

DHRA_Body-CZ(3000²).jpg

The two pups on the guitar are both labeled "Duncan Designed." The bridge humbucker sounds suspiciously like a lower output JB, and the lipstick neck sounds similar to the SD lipstick pup (at least based on my listening to the SD website's recording of their pups). The caveat being the differences in equipment used by SD in their recording and my gear I play on. 😉😁

DRHA_Pups-RCZ(3000x4000).jpg

I plan replacing the humbucker with a real JB with a nickel cover to match the neck pup. I'm currently checking which pups is the better fit: SD's Strat Lipstick pups (most likely) or their Dano Lipstick pups (unlikely). I plan to get a chrome pup trim ring to cover the cavity and the pup base, preferably one specifically for the lipstick pup as there's no trapezoidal extension in the bottom.

PangPang

Squier-Meister
Jul 17, 2020
Macau
Ah, those lipsticks are likely similar to this lipstick pup...

View attachment 233142

It's installed on this guitar...

View attachment 233143

Yes, for real, I have one of these. It's a 2007 Daisy Rock Heartbreaker Artist with a basswood heart shaped body bolted to a maple/rosewood neck. Surprisingly, it's a good guitar, certainly better than what I expected! Neck is slightly slim and thinner than normal because it's been sized to fit the smaller hands on a typical young lady. Which is great cuz I have small hands, LOL! Also, that heart-shaped body is surprisingly ergonomic, it's shape is effectively a forearm contour cut.

View attachment 233144

The two pups on the guitar are both labeled "Duncan Designed." The bridge humbucker sounds suspiciously like a lower output JB, and the lipstick neck sounds similar to the SD lipstick pup (at least based on my listening to the SD website's recording of their pups). The caveat being the differences in equipment used by SD in their recording and my gear I play on. 😉😁

View attachment 233147

I plan replacing the humbucker with a real JB with a nickel cover to match the neck pup. I'm currently checking which pups is the better fit: SD's Strat Lipstick pups (most likely) or their Dano Lipstick pups (unlikely). I plan to get a chrome pup trim ring to cover the cavity and the pup base, preferably one specifically for the lipstick pup as there's no trapezoidal extension in the bottom.

A heart-shaped guitar that has good playability!!!! Congrats, Lance!!! You use it to play surf music too?

Lanaka

Squier-holic
Feb 11, 2020
Honolulu, HI
A heart-shaped guitar that has good playability!!!! Congrats, Lance!!! You use it to play surf music too?
Y'know what? Never occured to me to try surf rock on it, I'll give it a go! Mind ye only at home...at least until I can find another gigbag or hard case than the pastel purple one it came with... I'm not going out in public places with that, LOL! Black cowboy hats and black trenches don't mix with that... 🤔😉

KIMG0508.JPG

PS: What I may do is clone the OE gigbag in black.

Lanaka

Squier-holic
Feb 11, 2020
Honolulu, HI
@PangPang Ok, confirmed, it can do surf, country, rock and even metal fairly well. That lipstick feels like a cross between Tele neck pup and a Dano (Book'em Dano!) and the bridge definitely feels like a lower powered JB.

Also used a caliper to measure the lipstick. It's body is 3.25" (82mm) wide and about 0.61" (16mm) thick. It stands about 20mm or about 0.79" tall from the bottom of the legs to pup top. That makes it an oddball size thats a cross between the SD Dano and Strat versions of the lipstick pickup. The body of the pup is slightly shorter and thinner than a dano but thicker and wider than a Strat. The mounting legs is a Strat lipsticks style that makes the total height slightly taller than the Strat lipstick's .70" height (@ 0.79" tall) BUT is also much wider than a Strat lipstick due to the longer body. This lipstick is a FRANKENSTEIN!

7DB6BA14-675D-415A-A206-17CDC218E80F.jpeg

It just occured to me that I haven't measured the DCR of the pup to see how it compares to the SD Lipstick Dano's 3.7RWRP/3.7κΩ or the Strat's 3.4/3.4RWRP/5.1κΩ numbers. I'm betting, if everything else is any indication, that the DCR is gonna be some oddball number.

(Time passes while I go looking for my multimeter...Dangs I hate moving...cant find nuthin'!)

After rummaging thru a buncha boxes still haven't found my multi. Grrr! I'll report back on the ohms of the pups...as soon as I find my blasted multi. (Why am I starting to feel like Bones...Imma guitarist not a blasted doctor!) 😡🤬