SE Tremolo Assembly Upgrades

enggass

Squier Talker
Sep 17, 2022
Maine
Trem Assemblies upgrade.
What exactly will fit in a 2004 SE body? I read that MiMs will drop right in??
Spacing is 2-1/16”? Will any Fender Trem with that spacing work?

Where are people finding the MiM assemblies?
Thanks.

enggass

Squier Talker
Sep 17, 2022
Maine
Could someone please post specs of exactly what I should look for in a Tremolo Upgrade that'll fit the Standard Size SE body? And where I should look? Thanks

dbrian66

Squier-Axpert
Jul 14, 2017
Maryland, USA
What about Hardtail Bridges? What would fit in SE body? Thanks
Any trem designed for a MIM Strat will bolt up, but sometimes (not very often) the body will have to be modified to fit the big block. But it’s not a big deal. Five minutes with a Dremel and it will be perfect.

Here are some picks of a big block trem that didn’t fit in one of my SE’s

D7E0474E-B6F8-42CA-8B51-37E7F0FDE1CA.jpeg C1040E5F-0A5B-4BD8-9B63-6625983B6BD1.jpeg DB696DE0-E81E-4343-88DC-70B552A446C2.jpeg

As far as I know, no hard tail bridge will work without filling in the hole for the trem.

enggass

Squier Talker
Sep 17, 2022
Maine
Are there any other term assemblies that fit the Squire SE (without drilling, sanding etc) besides the Fender MiM? Thanks!

Shaytan

Squier-holic
Apr 10, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Are there any other term assemblies that fit the Squire SE (without drilling, sanding etc) besides the Fender MiM? Thanks!

If I were to upgrade mine today, I'd consider the offerings of Wilkinson instead of the MIM big block one I've got. Mind you, it looks pretty cool and I'm quite certain I wouldn't be able to find one for as good of a deal as I've paid for it back in 2017, plus the quality is an obvious step up from what came stock, but I've come to notice Wilkinson units to be even cheaper online and, judging by the one that came on my Cort G250, just as well built.

Sure, you won't get a big block from those, though I have to admit I didn't feel any perceivable difference in terms of tone or sustain whatsoever anyways- plus, many will second swapping the zync big block for a brass one regardless, if that's what floats your boat.

On a final note, while it's a welcomed plus that a drop-in replacement actually, well... drops in, be warned the marvelous world of Strat modding isn't always a matter of screwing parts on and off. A little kiss with an hand file or a Dremel tool may be expected as the routing tolerances for these bodies weren't as nice as what we've come to get used to nowadays and some gentle persuasion to make 'em fit certainly won't hurt anyone.

Last edited:

dbrian66

Squier-Axpert
Jul 14, 2017
Maryland, USA
Like I said earlier, any trem that is designed to fit a MIM Strat will fit the SE. The unit in my picture above is from GFS. The only thing is sometimes, depending on the trem you get and the SE you have, you might have to make the opening in the body a little bigger to fit a big block. I have built several SE’s. Sometimes the block fits, sometimes it doesn’t.

Latest posts