Question about Classic Vibe Tele and Tuners fitting

dpang2836

Squier-Nut
Gold Supporting Member
Jan 25, 2022
IDAHO
"The Strat" lists them as Gotoh's. I have looked at Dealers who sell them and no Pics of back of Package, or Stock numbers? Hell, they could be Kluson's? WD Music bought Kluson in 93 and "Crank" out some nice Tuners. :cool:

the_dude

Squier-Nut
Feb 17, 2021
Japan
I don't want to get into whether or not the Clapton signature modal had tuners that were unique in any way (but I doubt it :cool: )

As for Gotoh hardware, Gotoh's quality is FAR from being cheap. There is reason that Fender uses it for their more expensive guitars (custom shop etc). 7 of my 8 guitars have Gotoh tuners - ROCK solid.

My Cool Z Burst has Grovers, and I am sure they are cheap OEM versions from PW, but I would have to take them off one day and have a look underneath. Do not like them at all, they hold tune with little issues, but the gears seem to jump around a lot when tuning. I will change them out to Gotohs eventually (like the ones on my 1999 Burny - https://g-gotoh.com/product/sg301/?lang=en).

Years ago I changed the tuners on my MIJ Epiphone SG70 to 'Genuine Gibson' tuners, struggled with them for years - but I had enlarged the peg holes so I stuck with them. 2 years I ago I pickup some conversion bushings and went back to the original tuners, which are Gotoh SD90s - SOOOO much better, smooth tuning.

Years ago, I thought I 'should' update my parts to Genuine Gibson tuners and bridge, to make my SG 'better'. But the parts were actually manufactured by PW in China and never felt right. I have since replaced the Gibson bridge with a Gotoh ABR-1 like bridge and as mentioned back to the original Gotoh tuners.

Last edited:

the_dude

Squier-Nut
Feb 17, 2021
Japan
"The Strat" lists them as Gotoh's. I have looked at Dealers who sell them and no Pics of back of Package, or Stock numbers? Hell, they could be Kluson's? WD Music bought Kluson in 93 and "Crank" out some nice Tuners. :cool:
WD acquired the name Kluson - not the company. Kluson went bust and disappeared decades ago (sometime in the 60's I recall). WD has nothing to do with the original company.

However in Europe, a different company in Germany also resurrected the Kluson name and is also using the original design.

If I recall correctly, WD gets their 'Kluson' tuners made in Korea and or China. While the German 'Kluson' gets theirs made by Gotoh.

dpang2836

Squier-Nut
Gold Supporting Member
Jan 25, 2022
IDAHO
Yes, last set I bought said Made in Korea. German Kluson's are big bucks! Speaking of Korean Parts, I just recieved a MIM Tele 6 Saddle Bridge that said made in Korea. Fender Mexico has gone downhill with Korean Bridges, Tuners, Mini Pots, Ceramic Pickups, etc.:eek::eek::eek: