Pedal tuners - you don't know you need them 'till you do!

Bob the builder

Squier-holic
Feb 25, 2017
Rhode Island USA
Well...I have not used a pitch pipe, electric tuner, or any other form of help to tune my guitars. I play by ear and can tell by ear where my strings are at when tuning them. The "pitch" tuning fork is nice for those whom need the help. as I am aware being able to tune a guitar by ear, is not every day guitar players as ordinary players, takes time to learn notes exactly by ear.
You're truly gifted if you have perfect pitch.
Me...I ain't that lucky.
I'll keep my tu-2 till it dies.

then I'll get another 😃

Robb

Squier-holic
Jan 13, 2011
Quiet place
I still own a load of tuners, more than 20 in the shop but playing live I only use the Korg DT-10 , if setting up a guitar I then use a Peterson strobe 450.

Faith Nicole

Squier-holic
Nov 14, 2013
Florida
my initial setups (when I was still into such things) consisted of them on my bench, phone on top of it with a tuning app running.

SoundDesign

Squier-holic
Mar 8, 2016
Great. White. North.
Well...I have not used a pitch pipe, electric tuner, or any other form of help to tune my guitars. I play by ear and can tell by ear where my strings are at when tuning them. The "pitch" tuning fork is nice for those whom need the help. as I am aware being able to tune a guitar by ear, is not every day guitar players as ordinary players, takes time to learn notes exactly by ear.
You have perfect pitch?

BluesForDan

Squier-Nut
Nov 27, 2015
grrrrrr-ranite state!!
Not spend money on a tuner? Do you hate your audience? What are you, a barbarian? My Sonic Research ST-300 is always in hands-reach. I use it all the time, and between each and every take when recording.

UhjkJud.jpg

Vladan

Squier-Nut
Sep 30, 2012
Serbia
You might laugh but for years that is what I used. I bet some people don't know how to tune their guitar from just one string tuned.

I should check if my pedal tuner is tuned to the fork.

If you use E @ 320 Hz, it probably is not in tune with your pedal tuner, it certainly is not in tune with A @ 440 Hz standard.
If A 440 Hz, E is 330 Hz (open high E string).

DrBeGood

Dr. Squier
Dec 9, 2014
QC, CANADA
If you use E @ 320 Hz, it probably is not in tune with your pedal tuner, it certainly is not in tune with A @ 440 Hz standard.
If A 440 Hz, E is 330 Hz (open high E string).
No pedal tuners in the 70's and it worked pretty well for my bands for the time we used it. Nobody complained we were out of tune ... or they were polite.

johnnywizzo

Squier-Nut
Feb 4, 2016
Players tuning instruments on stage constantly is weak and sure fire audience buzz kill. Stomp box tuner is the greatest creation ever. Being able to mute rig to swap guitars is also important for on the fly stealthy performing. I have a Boss TU 2 which also powers additional Boss pedals in daisy chain. Also have a Arion MIJ tuner which is a wee bit easier to see outdoors in daylight.

Mandatory bit of kit in my book!
Jimi used to do it all of the time!