NPD! My First Pedal... Compression... Really?

miket1117

Squier-holic
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 31, 2018
Kansas City
Was shopping distortion and overdrive pedals at a guitar shop in the basement of a five & dime store (Muddy River Guitars) in Atchison KS. After some testing, discussion, Brian suggested a compression pedal.

He tested it on a Strat-like guitar through a Supro Delta Blues 12, and I was surprised at how it got some dirt while knocking back some of the other dynamics. impressed. bought it. should work well for my P90s he said. $89... battery not included. lol...

can't wait to try it out tomorrow night!

1664492698976.png

BarnyardShark1979

Squier-Nut
Jul 9, 2020
Baltimore Maryland
I absolutely love the concept as a compressor as the first pedal. I am intrigued to see how your pedal collection branches out in the future. The reason it's so unique to me is that when I got my first pedal, a Dunlop Crybaby, my goal was to make the effect as noticeable as possible. My 16-year-old ego was screaming "Look at me, I can make that Hendrix sound! WHAOW WHAOW WHAOW" lol.

Compressor is so subtle as an effect. It's almost not even an "effect", more like an... I dunno, "audio production tool".

In short, your first pedal choice is orders of magnitude more mature, restrained, and professional than mine was, and I find it weird and I respect that.

miket1117

Squier-holic
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 31, 2018
Kansas City
I absolutely love the concept as a compressor as the first pedal. I am intrigued to see how your pedal collection branches out in the future. The reason it's so unique to me is that when I got my first pedal, a Dunlop Crybaby, my goal was to make the effect as noticeable as possible. My 16-year-old ego was screaming "Look at me, I can make that Hendrix sound! WHAOW WHAOW WHAOW" lol.

Compressor is so subtle as an effect. It's almost not even an "effect", more like an... I dunno, "audio production tool".

In short, your first pedal choice is orders of magnitude more mature, restrained, and professional than mine was, and I find it weird and I respect that.
Thanks Shark! I dunno... i've been pedal averse because i like clean and some of the amps i have feature on-board effects, so i never really had much motivation to experiment.

however, of late, i decided that i wanted a slightly dirtier sound on a couple of guitars out of one particular amp. so when shopping yesterday my first thought was overdrive or distortion. i didn't really care for either of them... just too much. maybe he showed me the 'wrong' ones for my taste.

when the guy suggested a compression pedal, i thought, well, let's hear it. never imagined it could create some dirt, but it did and in just the right amount. plus, it'll help cut down on some of the muddiness when i get the harmonics going in my open tunings.

as we were conducting the transaction, he told me that should i add more pedals, to keep the compression first in the chain. so, as a first pedal purchase, guess it makes even more sense in that regard.

meanwhile, glad to hear i got what's considered a good one! i wouldn't have had a clue... but it's simple, which for my simple mind works well! lol... :D :cool: