NGD CV70s Thinline

kdm1218

Squier-Meister
Jun 18, 2021
TX
I have a couple of candidates for this fix, but haven't done it myself. I just used the pickup height adjustment screws! 😂

Follow up to this, the heat it on a baking sheet took 3 tries but worked great on the 3rd try at 200 deg instead of 175.

This wiring is interesting. 500k volume and 250k tone with a .022 cap. I have a spare 500k tone I’m gonna toss in it with the same cap, just to see what it sounds like.

kdm1218

Squier-Meister
Jun 18, 2021
TX
Reporting back once more. My pickguard has re-warped. I think there are some screw holes maybe just a couple millimeters off causing it to happen. Doesn’t affect its playing at all so unless I decide to change pickups down the road I probably will not mess with it anymore.

I did exchange the 500k pot in for the 250k, and made before and after recordings. Put the pickups back to the same height and had gotten my new locking tuners on, then strung with 10s instead of 9s per my preference. And I hear no discernible difference at all with the tone full on 10. I’m sure the taper became more gradual but otherwise that was a waste of a couple hours work disassembling, solder, reassembling. They also really should have trimmed a little bit off the pickup leads, about 3” too much extra wire and it was very difficult to get everything back in as a result.

kdm1218

Squier-Meister
Jun 18, 2021
TX
Sweet Thinline! So glad Sweetwater does the right thing. Pro Audio Star - not so much. Can't wait to hear how you like the sound. Cheers!
It sounds great! I have pickups dialed in now where I like them. The neck is maybe a little muddy but I also haven’t played anything with humbuckers for quite a while.

I ended up swapping for a black pickguard and had to toothpick fill and redrill 6 out of 12 holes. Not a good job at the factory on that! Also got locking tuners cause I just prefer them, but it is staying in tune much better than with the originals. The little fixes don’t scare or bother me, but at the price points for a new (even on sale) CV, if I were a new player who got a guitar with a warped guard and tuners not keeping it in tune, that would be a bummer.

Here’s the black:
4B733839-2F79-4C76-B8DC-75159C1F2A19.jpeg

Last edited:

Talking-Squier

Squier Talker
Sep 19, 2022
Hawaii
It sounds great! I have pickups dialed in now where I like them. The neck is maybe a little muddy but I also haven’t played anything with humbuckers for quite a while.

I ended up swapping for a black pickguard and had to toothpick fill and redrill 6 out of 12 holes. Not a good job at the factory on that! Also got locking tuners cause I just prefer them, but it is staying in tune much better than with the originals. The little fixes don’t scare or bother me, but at the price points for a new (even on sale) CV, if I were a new player who got a guitar with a warped guard and tuners not keeping it in tune, that would be a bummer.

Here’s the black:
View attachment 241523
Gorgeous! Thanks for sharing. So great that it's all working out.

Talking-Squier

Squier Talker
Sep 19, 2022
Hawaii
Pro Audio Star took care of me with a very reasonable reimbursement offer on my Ibanez that arrived with finish cracks.
That's amazing. So glad to hear it. Seems like you are one of the lucky ones. Pro Audio Star has two stars on Yelp. https://www.yelp.com/biz/proaudiostar-brooklyn

Pro Audio Star has horrible reviews on Trust Pilot https://www.trustpilot.com/review/proaudiostar.com https://www.trustpilot.com/review/proaudiostar.com
And more. Just wish I had researched them before I got involved with them. The consensus seems to be that they another churn and burn supplier that will just close up shop once they have burned enough people. YMMV

wickedtools

Dr. Squier
May 16, 2010
west texas

Here’s the black

Here’s the black:
View attachment 241523
That Black guard looks awesome on it.😊👍🏼