New old guy

hackmaster

Squier Talker
Jul 4, 2022
Palmetto, Fl.
Hi all, I'm an old dog that's rediscovered Squiers.
Can't believe the value and quality of these guitars compared to what I had to learn on over 50 years ago.
Started playing in 1969 and have been doing repairs for local musicians for around 25 years.

Due to a left hand accident a couple of years back, playing had become next to impossible for me.
With only 2 working fingers on that hand, I thought playing was over for me, so the sell off of gear started.
Then I took a Squier Mustang as a partial trade on one of my guitars about a year ago and found it was much easier for me to deal with. The 24" scale was the secret. So I modded it to my liking and have been smitten with Squiers ever since.

Recently I was doing a repair on a mini Martin acoustic with 23" scale and was blown away with how it felt to my mangled hand.
So on a whim, bought a mini Yamaha acoustic off Craigslist for $80.
Same thing, felt more playable to me.

Then I saw it online. A mini Jazzmaster with 22.75" scale. Could this be what I need?
So I took a chance and ordered one in surf green.
BINGO!
So as I enjoy my honeymoon phase with this new beast, this looked like a good place to join for inspiration and advise.
So here I am.

Peace,
Dave aka "hackmaster"

dpang2836

Squier-holic
Gold Supporting Member
Jan 25, 2022
IDAHO
Welcome also, and I love Short Scales too. I was brought up on a Gibson LG-0 which was the Student Model at 38" Long (Short). I prefer my Mustang over my Tele and built myself a Short Scale Bass. My Grandson is getting the Mini Squier Bass. Lots of fun! Might be time to practice some Slide since Arthritis is setting in my Fingers. Worst comes to worst, I will get an Autoharp!:cool:

Dpsixstringer

Squier-Meister
Jun 13, 2022
Reading pa
Hi all, I'm an old dog that's rediscovered Squiers.
Can't believe the value and quality of these guitars compared to what I had to learn on over 50 years ago.
Started playing in 1969 and have been doing repairs for local musicians for around 25 years.

Due to a left hand accident a couple of years back, playing had become next to impossible for me.
With only 2 working fingers on that hand, I thought playing was over for me, so the sell off of gear started.
Then I took a Squier Mustang as a partial trade on one of my guitars about a year ago and found it was much easier for me to deal with. The 24" scale was the secret. So I modded it to my liking and have been smitten with Squiers ever since.

Recently I was doing a repair on a mini Martin acoustic with 23" scale and was blown away with how it felt to my mangled hand.
So on a whim, bought a mini Yamaha acoustic off Craigslist for $80.
Same thing, felt more playable to me.

Then I saw it online. A mini Jazzmaster with 22.75" scale. Could this be what I need?
So I took a chance and ordered one in surf green.
BINGO!
So as I enjoy my honeymoon phase with this new beast, this looked like a good place to join for inspiration and advise.
So here I am.

Peace,
Dave aka "hackmaster"
Overcoming is the only way to get through life. And now I in astonishment, 24" scale? Maybe I need a Mustang in my life. While I can use all my piddies, my pinky is a full inch and a quarter shorter than my middle, and none of them are very... shall we say, graceful, which makes alot of things impossible for me to play. But I heard bout a guy named Django who only had two fret hand fingers and did some impressive stuff that I can't play IMG_20220704_225908.jpg so I don't quit. Way to overcome brother, and welcome to the forum, and back to making music.

Dpsixstringer

Squier-Meister
Jun 13, 2022
Reading pa
Thanks for the warm welcome. Here's my Mustang for starters.
Need to get some better pics. It's gone through a couple changes since this was taken.

View attachment 237256

View attachment 237257
I love the triple buckers, and she looks like fun, but that is my least favorite color for a guitar. It reminds me too much of the bathroom fixtures I grew up with. Weird thing is , before the old lady passed on, we lived in a cabin of that color. Whenever she would say she liked it, I would just roll my eyes. LOL

AxelMorisson

Squier-Nut
Nov 15, 2021
Fagaras, Romania
Hello and welcome! We have a nice place here, we talk shop, we mod, we fix and occasionally break things too. But all in good fun!
Nice Mustang! First one I see with 3 f-trons! Lovely colors too! As for recovering from injuries- I don't know about your case but my doctor (recovering from serious car crash here, left side almost non responsive initially) was enthusiastic about me trying arts crafts etc. When I mentioned guitar he said : well it's a very good coordination exercise and should improve reflexes too.
What can I say, any doctor that recommends a Marshall&SG treatment (or Squier and Fender amps ) is good in my book ;).

Dpsixstringer

Squier-Meister
Jun 13, 2022
Reading pa
Hello and welcome! We have a nice place here, we talk shop, we mod, we fix and occasionally break things too. But all in good fun!
Nice Mustang! First one I see with 3 f-trons! Lovely colors too! As for recovering from injuries- I don't know about your case but my doctor (recovering from serious car crash here, left side almost non responsive initially) was enthusiastic about me trying arts crafts etc. When I mentioned guitar he said : well it's a very good coordination exercise and should improve reflexes too.
What can I say, any doctor that recommends a Marshall&SG treatment (or Squier and Fender amps ) is good in my book ;).
Sounds like the most sensible doc I ever heard of. ☺