NAD monoprice 15w amp

driver8

Squier-Nut
Jun 19, 2020
Upstate NY
I have an AD50VT Vox speaker in it and it makes it sound bigger, fuller. Being a modeler speaker it covers all the frequencies really well. But I mostly (90%) play it through a 2X12" cab. THAT gets it in another realm.
No doubt! I plugged it into my Bandit (Revolution 112 actually) with a Weber 1230 and it's HUGE! 2x12 must be massive lol :cool:

Fwiw, in the MP15 I also tried:
Weber alnico Sig (thin and bright, couldn't stand it)
Celestion greenback (too dark/muffled)
The 1230 mentioned above - sounds great in the "cab," but in the MP it was way too bass heavy
Jensen C12N - similar to the alnico, didn't like
and WGS G12C, a really great sounding speaker, but I didn't like the EQ for some reason. I tend to like British speakers apparently.

I actually preferred the original Seventy 80 to all of those, literally hands down. Turns out it's almost a perfect match for that amp. I'd say the Blue Dog slightly edges it out for clarity without the fizziness at higher gain, but they actually sound pretty close with some subtle EQ differences. If I could have the 70/80 with higher fidelity I would probably go for that instead. It breaks up a little sooner and the EQ is pretty unobnoxious. But with more breaking in, the BD is really starting to shine. Highly recommended upgrade in these amps!

porkpie

Squier-holic
Mar 16, 2015
Idaho
Congrats, great amp. I bought one when they first came out. I think it was a return they called used can't remember, it was like $90 shipped. When I got it couldn't see any defects and it sounded great. Replaced the speaker with a Cannabis Rex and the tubes with vintage Russian and a Tung Sol for the preamp. People say the reverb isn't great on these early ones but I'm not a big reverb guy so it doesn't really matter. I'm sure you will be happy as these are great tube amps that don't break the bank.

driver8

Squier-Nut
Jun 19, 2020
Upstate NY
I actually like the stock speaker.what I want to know is what is a good inexpensive 2x12 cab or a set of speakers for a cab build to go with the MP15?
Inexpensive is relative, of course, but the Stage Right 2x12 at Monoprice, loaded with 2 Celestion V30s, is virtually a steal at ~300. The two speakers alone would cost you that much new, so it's like getting a cabinet almost for free. Even if you don't like V30s, you could easily sell them, then get a couple of cheap Weber sigs or something and still come in under 150 or so, even less if you got something used.

drewcp

Dr. Squier
Staff member
Dec 14, 2018
Saint Paul, MN
I actually like the stock speaker.what I want to know is what is a good inexpensive 2x12 cab or a set of speakers for a cab build to go with the MP15?

I had an oversized Avatar 2x12 at one point that came with a V30 and a G12H30. Wasn't too expensive because I bought it used. Nice combo of speakers.

I think an Eminencs GB128 and Fender voiced speaker would be a good combo too.

stratfreak

Squier-Meister
May 1, 2019
San Antonio, TX