LPB Affinity Jazzmaster on the way.

Footsore

Squier-Meister
Feb 17, 2020
Australia
After spending nearly all day reading reviews and watching demo's on the internet I finally said yes and ordered one. Found the cheapest price online and then got a further 10 percent off with an Easter discount code so all up $395 delivered in Australia so I'm pretty pleased.
Here's hoping the Jazzmaster is as nice as the reviews say.
Not a traditional Jazzmaster but very similar to the American Performer Jazzmaster and the G&L Doheny but with my preferred 9.5" radius and medium jumbo frets.
Planning to set it up to play a bit of surf stuff.

duceditor

Squier-Axpert
May 29, 2014
The Monadnocks, NH USA
Congrats on that coming new guitar!

So many people seem to find the traditional jazzy's bridge and trem less satisfactory than the more traditional Strat type used on the new Affiinty Jazzmaster that I think Squier made a smart choice in using it here. And the fact that they chose the more modern 2 point type with its reported greater tuning stability makes it even better.

The unknown, though, are the PUPS. Are they truly Jazzmaster in sound? Squier's own write up suggest they had another sonic goal.

The Affinity Series Jazzmaster comes loaded with a pair of these ceramic fire breathers

Of course a phrase like "fire breathers" could just be meaningless ad-speak. And if they PUPS have the wide and shallow coil that are key to the Jazzy's unique sound that could well be truly Jazzmaster all the way thru, even with ceramic magnets.

I look forward to you report post delivery! :)

-don

grizzlewulf

Squier-holic
Dec 11, 2020
Lucerne, California

So many people seem to find the traditional jazzy's bridge and trem less satisfactory than the more traditional Strat type used on the new Affiinty Jazzmaster that I think Squier made a smart choice in using it here. And the fact that they chose the more modern 2 point type with its reported greater tuning stability makes it even better.

The unknown, though, are the PUPS. Are they truly Jazzmaster in sound? Squier's own write up suggest they had another sonic goal.

The Affinity Series Jazzmaster comes loaded with a pair of these ceramic fire breathers

Of course a phrase like "fire breathers" could just be meaningless ad-speak. And if they PUPS have the wide and shallow coil that are key to the Jazzy's unique sound that could well be truly Jazzmaster all the way thru, even with ceramic magnets.

-don

Similar to the J Mascis Jazzmaster, these pickups are apparently wound more like P-90s than JM pickups.

But I'm sure it'll do surf just fine either way

VealCutlet

Squier-holic
Silver Supporting Member
Aug 9, 2011
Brookyn, NYC

-don
I’m not sure about the construction of the pickups, but I recall reading that they are similar to ceramic Strat style PUPs.

Whatever they are, this demo shows that the guitar can pull off the “Jazzmaster vibe” as it’s called in this video.

I am tempted by that pink burgundy mist…

Footsore

Squier-Meister
Feb 17, 2020
Australia
We'll it arrived a few days ago and wow these new Affinities are very nice. It's got a very solid feel to it and no lightweight but very comfortable to hold and play. The setup out of the box was a little high but very playable and the neck is great and not skinny at all.
I really like the satin finish and the medium jumbo frets.
I don't have another Jazzmaster to compare the pickups too but I doubt I'll feel a need to replace them. These sound good with nice range of tones.
Before it arrived I was thinking of changing the pickguard to white or Pearloid and maybe upgrading the pickups but now it's here I think it's just fine the way it is. IMG20220511075526.jpg