Joyo Vision Dual Modulation pedal

JustABluesGuy

Squier-Meister
Nov 6, 2018
Texas
I’ve been kinda lax about adding any modulation effects to my bag of tricks, so on a wild hair I ordered a used Joyo Vision Dual Modulation pedal.

It looks like some good, cheap fun. Anyone tried one? I did a search but it didn’t turn up much talk about them.

dbrian66

Squier-Axpert
Jul 14, 2017
Maryland, USA
Thanks. I’ve watch the videos. I’m looking for firsthand experiences from regular folks.
I like to hear first hand opinions as well. The videos are great, but those guys are all really good and make everything they touch sound good!

I’ve toyed with the idea of doing some video reviews from just a regular guy who can’t play that well. Not sure if it would be well received or not.

DrBeGood

Dr. Squier
Dec 9, 2014
QC, CANADA
I like to hear first hand opinions as well. The videos are great, but those guys are all really good and make everything they touch sound good!

I’ve toyed with the idea of doing some video reviews from just a regular guy who can’t play that well. Not sure if it would be well received or not.
Depends on what is reviewed. On a modulation pedal like the one we're talking about, notwithstanding the player, you hear what the modulation sounds like.
If you feel you're up to it, you should. Make it simple. Depending on what you're showing, adapt what you're playing. One or two power chords for OD, saturation, boost and/or distortion should do it. Same for modulations, simple chords played clean. Etc ...

grizzlewulf

Squier-holic
Dec 11, 2020
Lucerne, California
When I'm watching a gear demo (especially a pedal like this), I'm much less concerned about the quality of the playing, and more concerned about the audio quality, decent enough video/lighting, and covering the features without taking too long or yapping too much.

Honestly if the playing is too technical or over the top, I won't even watch the video. One, it's useless to me because I'll never sound like that. Two, it comes off as a thinly veiled excuse to showboat. Just make a performance video dude.

What I mean to say @dbrian66 is don't sweat the skills too much.

JustABluesGuy

Squier-Meister
Nov 6, 2018
Texas

I doubt I will be doing a video review. I’m not set up for it, and I have a radio face, not a video face.

I will definitely do a text review though.

JustABluesGuy

Squier-Meister
Nov 6, 2018
Texas
I

I’ve done a couple of video reviews by request, but they aren’t that good. I’m a regular guy who isn’t an amazing player either.

Many videos are of experts playing in styles that I don’t play in, with skills I don’t have. I’m a decent duffer, but no pro. My video skills are even worse than my guitar skills, so…

Last edited:

JustABluesGuy

Squier-Meister
Nov 6, 2018
Texas
When I'm watching a gear demo (especially a pedal like this), I'm much less concerned about the quality of the playing, and more concerned about the audio quality, decent enough video/lighting, and covering the features without taking too long or yapping too much.

Honestly if the playing is too technical or over the top, I won't even watch the video. One, it's useless to me because I'll never sound like that. Two, it comes off as a thinly veiled excuse to showboat. Just make a performance video dude.

What I mean to say @dbrian66 is don't sweat the skills too much.

I’m not a showboater. I don’t like the spotlight. I like to think of myself as a “side man” and try to do my part to help the front person shine.

If I do a video, it will be with my iPhone. I can do decent lighting, but I’m not a videographer.

Last edited:

JustABluesGuy

Squier-Meister
Nov 6, 2018
Texas
One of my main issues with gear videos is that often they don’t play anything like the styles I play in, or test the settings the way I would.

I generally can get something from them, but when they are playing djent it’s hard for me to get much useful info.

JustABluesGuy

Squier-Meister
Nov 6, 2018
Texas
The Joyo Vision Dual Modulation arrived and I have had a chance to play with it a bit. So far I like it a lot.

I have never used a lot of modulation effects other than Tremolo, and some of the effects will be of no use to me, but others will be quite useful. For example ring modulation isn’t something I will probably find any use for.

I haven’t noticed any effects that actually use the “control” knobs yet, though no doubt it effects at least one of them on each side.

I will probably end up choosing two effects that are useful to me and leave it set up for those two. I can’t see myself changing effects during a song. The labels are difficult to read even in good light, and when changing, some effects will probably require different settings than the previous one.

There is a good range for each effect. Some don’t sound great to me at their extremes, but sound good when used with moderate settings.

There are plenty of possibilities for those who want to get crazy sounds out of it. It looks like it will work fine for me at more moderate settings.

I will probably end up using just a couple of the effects, and pretty much set it up for those specific ones. If I were a heavy modulation user or needed to use many different modulations during a performance, this might not be the best option as it seems like it would be difficult to change on stage. The labels on the selector switch are difficult to read.

All in all, as an affordable modulation pedal, I like it. It might be of little use to those who use modulation a lot, and those folks probably have their own individual pedals anyway.

For those who are just getting started using modulation, or who don’t need to change between modulation effects too much, the Joyo Vision is an excellent modulation that will allow one to try many different modulations for a very reasonable price.

DrBeGood

Dr. Squier
Dec 9, 2014
QC, CANADA
Thanks for the review JABG. It probably wasn't though out to be used in a live setting, but more for home/studio work. Most modulation pedals sound bad when cranked to 11. Some you can use nicely so they are barely audible. My very first modulation pedal was an Ibanez CF7 Chorus, I still use it to this day. Before I had reverb, I used it to a very low settings and it gave my tone a nice shimmering.

JustABluesGuy

Squier-Meister
Nov 6, 2018
Texas
Thanks for the review JABG. It probably wasn't though out to be used in a live setting, but more for home/studio work. Most modulation pedals sound bad when cranked to 11. Some you can use nicely so they are barely audible. My very first modulation pedal was an Ibanez CF7 Chorus, I still use it to this day. Before I had reverb, I used it to a very low settings and it gave my tone a nice shimmering.
That’s exactly what I am going for. Just some added “movement” or depth without being an obvious effect. My sweet spot with many effects is to turn it up until it’s noticeable, and then back off of it until it isn’t noticeable until you turn it off.