Jaguar bridge - floating or not floating

Mar_lando

Squier Talker
Aug 26, 2020
Italy
I played strat all my life. I have now bought a used vm jag. I will probably mod it to sound more stat-ish (i bought it for the short scale, not for the tone which is not my favorite).
In the meantime I am learning potential improvement to the bridge/tremolo system and saw many people replacing the floating bridge with a non floating one (Les Paul style) or putting tape around the posts. Isn’t that completely against the design of the system? Would a tune o magic with rollers be better?

AngelDeVille

Squier-holic
Jan 29, 2017
ABQ
There is a myth that the bridge needs to float with a vibrato.

The stock bridge is fine but I’d wrap it with some aluminum strips from a soda can or use a tunamatic. I’d wrap the strips to significantly reduce the “wobble”

I use mostly bigsbys with tele or tunamatic bridges

duceditor

Squier-Axpert
May 29, 2014
The Monadnocks, NH USA
I have such a bridge on three guitars -- all Squier Vintage Modified models (A Jag, a Jazzmaster and a Corinado w/Bigsby) -- and I simply cannot fathom why anyone would feel the need to relace it, or to 'still' its rocking motion. Such is a brilliant and purposeful design.

Yes, setup is necessary. But in my experience such is a doable one-time and pretty much forever thing.

Here's how should you wish to know...

Adjusting a Jazzmaster-Type Bridge

-don​