Jagmaster Low E won’t intonate

MichaelD

Squier Talker
Nov 6, 2022
Indianapolis
Wait! You said it's bouncy on the tuner. How close are the pickups to the strings? The magnetic pull from the pickups can cause intonation issues. It's usually seen on the big E string. Drop the pickups down a few turns and see if it will intonate. I've had this happen to me on a Strat before and it drove me bonkers for days. Dropped the bridge pickup down, tried again and it intonated in minutes. Try that before anything else as it's pretty easy to do and reverse if not the cause.
Pickups are already low. I prefer them that way for some strange reason

yegbert

Squier-Meister
Silver Supporting Member
Dec 12, 2009
Clinton, Maryland USA
I’m not a guitar tech per se, but doing some setup on my own teles…

I set my saddle heights based on me eyeballing to follow neck radius, not having strings fretting out, and having action that feels good. And I have a few spare height set screws of various lengths that I’ll swap to avoid them jabbing my hand palm muting.

drewcp

Dr. Squier
Staff member
Dec 14, 2018
Saint Paul, MN
I’ll try that. So is there a rule of thumb for saddle adjustment …..should they all be level ? Or is it just kinda how it works out ? I noticed all my pro setups the saddles weren’t level

All of the saddles should be flat and look like stair steps to match the radius. The saddles should not be angled.

My drawing isn't perfect, but I hope it illustrates what you need to know

Screenshot_20221119_123107.jpg

MichaelD

Squier Talker
Nov 6, 2022
Indianapolis
All of the saddles should be flat and look like stair steps to match the radius. The saddles should not be angled.

My drawing isn't perfect, but I hope it illustrates what you need to know

View attachment 245767
Thanks !

Turns out the low e was the only one not level. I fixed it ! It seemed to help a smidge too. I just gotta suck it up and snip that darn spring to get more space

MichaelD

Squier Talker
Nov 6, 2022
Indianapolis
Pickup height is good. I was already on high alert for this one, I also like mine a tad lower than higher.

Relief is should be good. Didn’t measure- I don’t have gauges so I did it by feel. Probably about enough to slip a business card under, maybe a smidge less. No buzzing surprisingly on the high or low frets.

Neck looks good in the pocket. Nice and tight no gaps.

One strange thing to note:

All the strings measure about 4 1/2 - 64ths on the 12th fret. The low E though is about 5 1/2 - 64ths. It doesn’t feel or seem high tho. When I do drop it down it does buzz and feels super low

Diavolo

Squier-Meister
Jan 3, 2022
USA
Pickup height is good. I was already on high alert for this one, I also like mine a tad lower than higher.

Relief is should be good. Didn’t measure- I don’t have gauges so I did it by feel. Probably about enough to slip a business card under, maybe a smidge less. No buzzing surprisingly on the high or low frets.

Neck looks good in the pocket. Nice and tight no gaps.

One strange thing to note:

All the strings measure about 4 1/2 - 64ths on the 12th fret. The low E though is about 5 1/2 - 64ths. It doesn’t feel or seem high tho. When I do drop it down it does buzz and feels super low
Fractions... brain... hurt....need millimeters.

So low E is higher than the other strings, measuring from the bottom of the string I assume?

Does it buzz everywhere on the fretboard? Or just above 12th? Or around 5th?

MichaelD

Squier Talker
Nov 6, 2022
Indianapolis
Fractions... brain... hurt....need millimeters.

So low E is higher than the other strings, measuring from the bottom of the string I assume?

Does it buzz everywhere on the fretboard? Or just above 12th? Or around 5th?
Yes measuring at the bottom.

4/64ths = 1.588 millimeters (thanks google !)

It buzzes every where set that low but most apparent between 5 and 12

Last edited: