I haven't gone to a concert in 25 years

Eddie

My Squier is on Fire !!!
Nov 5, 2016
New York
My two oldest daughters are coming with me to see Korn/Evanesence on the 28th and Ghost on September 10. That's two shows in under two weeks after 0 shows in over 25 years.

It's nice that my girls are at the age where they can attend concerts with me ... and they have similar enough tastes to enjoy them. Soon they'll be old enough to go on their own. My middle girl got me hooked on Ghost.

They wanted to also see Pierce the Veil but it's on a Sunday in Manhattan. No can do.

But man, ticket prices have gone up up up since last I saw a concert. I think I saw In Flames back in the mid 90's for $15.

Eddie

My Squier is on Fire !!!
Nov 5, 2016
New York
Then again, Pierce the Veil is playing in NJ on a Friday. If the kids are willing to play hooky for a day ... we can go see them. I'm not big on their music, but my middle girl loves them.

We'll see. Is going to see a concert worth missing a day of school?

howserx

Squier-Nut
Apr 20, 2017
Toronto, Canada(not really)
I'm the same, Last big act I saw was Metallica in (I think '91). Deaf for three days. I decided my hearing was worth more than seeing bands I liked. I kinda regret it. I wish I had seen some of the hardcore bands back in the day now. Even more, I wish more I had bought the vinyl. lol. Punk Vinyl is either non-existant or way more than I'm willing to pay...

Eddie

My Squier is on Fire !!!
Nov 5, 2016
New York
I'm the same, Last big act I saw was Metallica in (I think '91). Deaf for three days. I decided my hearing was worth more than seeing bands I liked. I kinda regret it. I wish I had seen some of the hardcore bands back in the day now. Even more, I wish more I had bought the vinyl. lol. Punk Vinyl is either non-existant or way more than I'm willing to pay...

I caught them during the And Justice Tour numerous times in Buffalo and NYC around 1990. Those were the last big shows I attended.

I mostly go to see local bands these days. Not really interested in the big ticket, big venue shows any more, as I've seen many hundreds, and I'm on a tight budget in early retirement.

Yeah I agree. But you'd think NYC would be a hot bed for local bands, but there isn't too much happening here. Very disappointing. Most club shows are 21 and over. My kids are only 16 and 14. The last club show I saw was around 1996 or so, and it was in a crappy neighborhood in Brooklyn where I had to park a mile away, and walk through a very sketchy neighborhood. Oh man.

I wanted to take my wife sons to see Springsteen. Cheapest tickets in DC were $250, behind the stage. $1K? No thanks.

I've been checking out Ticketmaster for some shows ... and man, prices are insane. Even crappy bands are asking $200 for the cheapest nosebleed seats.

duceditor

Squier-Axpert
May 29, 2014
The Monadnocks, NH USA
I know some people like BIG concerts. The thrill of the multitude. Being awash in the sound.

I've always preferred smaller venues. Greenwich Village clubs and coffee houses when I was youthful. Basement places such as Cafe Wah? and Cafe Au Go Go.

Once I left NY my concert going became rare.

We did go to see Dylan when he set up a quick last minute concert at Boston' Northeast U. And had many wonderful weekends filled with classical and jazz at Tanglewood. But apart from that nada.

Until Peterborough's rather famed "Town House" -- long used for classical and choral performances and even recording -- started including pop, rock and blues artists. Even people like Eric Gales!

To see and hear such as he in a small venue just up te street and into 'town' was and is for me a rather remarkable thing.

And yes, it reminded me very quickly why I gravatated to such concert venues all those many years ago.

-don

Here's the Eric Gales Band right here 'in town' on Nov., 2019

A-maz-ing!!!

Screen Shot 2022-08-08 at 10.10.49 AM.png

Last edited:

Eddie

My Squier is on Fire !!!
Nov 5, 2016
New York
I went to Cafe Wah once during Halloween to catch a comedy act. This was probably around 1992.

But the tricky thing with big concerts these days is the big ticket price. Plus, Ticketmaster's fees doubles the cost. Unreal.

duceditor

Squier-Axpert
May 29, 2014
The Monadnocks, NH USA
the tricky thing with big concerts these days is the big ticket price

Entry into my favorite venue in the mid-sixties -- Cafe Au Go Go -- was $4.

Yes, really! And that included several sets by such as The Butterfield Blues Band, The Jim Kweskin Jug Band (with Maria Muldaur), the James Cotton band. And before such a "main act" the show was introduced by such as Richie Havens or, for blues programs, someone like Big Joe Williams.

I used to show up early enough to choose my "seat" (actually "seats" with a small table) with such placement that Butterfield would put his harps down on our table.

How close? This close (shot with a regular lens, not a telephoto)

PaulButterfield wBishop.jpg

That's Elvin Bishop behind Butterfield.

Big Joe Williams from earlier that same night...

Big Joe Williams.jpg

And of course (you know who!)...

Bloomfield .jpg

Intimate. Personel. "There."

To me big concerts are like so much else these days. Totally impersonal. A marketed product at a whatever people are willing to pay price.

Yup. A truly different world.

-don

Hadronic Spin

Affinity Rulez!
Jan 27, 2021
Los Angeles
I prefer smaller venues, too. I've done big venues plenty in my youth, no need to continue that. I've got a great small venue literally down the street from me; The Canyon Club. I've seen Boz Skaggs, Pat Benatar, Toto, Y&T, Berlin, Rik Emmett, Loverboy and countless local bands at the Canyon. Foo Fighters played there just last year, but didn't go to that one. Standing only, and I didn't want to mess with insanity.

A little further down the road is the Thousand Oaks Civic Auditorium, and I've seen some acts there, as well. My wife actually bought tickets to see Kansas there for March 2020, but that show was delayed twice. Two tickets for good seats at this show has cost us $500. The rescheduled show is coming up this September, during the same week my wife is going to go to the Hollywood Bowl with a friend to see Duran Duran.

The last big-ish show the wife and I went to was in November 2021 at the Youtube Theater within the SoFi Stadium complex. The show was Evanescence, Halestorm and Plush. Excellent show, expensive tickets and a crappy drive (thank you SoCal freeways). The wife really wanted to see Evanescence and Halestorm, and I wanted her to have good seats, so that turned out to $1K for two tickets. The drive is supposed to be 35 minutes to SoFi from my place; it took 2 hours. The drive home, 35 minutes...

Anyway @Eddie , I hope your concert experience with your girls is both fun and memorable, as is good memorable. Suggestion; bring earplugs for you and your girls, they may come in handy and are better to have on hand and not need them then need them and not have any...

Rock on!

Regards

Jason

duceditor

Squier-Axpert
May 29, 2014
The Monadnocks, NH USA
Two tickets for good seats at this show has cost us $500.

I know I am totally out of time.

When it was announced that Eric Gales was coming to Peterborough I broke down and went "big time." Front row balcony -- our favorite Town House venue seats.

Here's my digital ticket from that event...

Screen Shot 2022-08-08 at 2.38.41 PM.png

The Town House is Our Town's government building. The offices on the lower level are where one gets drivers licenses renewed, gets questions answered, meets with the town's reps, etc.

The upper floor is multi-purpose: A place for town meetings. (Many New England small towns are directly run by the people who live there, often decided major issues with simple 'raised-hands votes' as seen here...)

Screen Shot 2022-08-08 at 2.50.26 PM.png

But that same room is also used as a concert venue, and that now for an increasing range of musical styles.

Its acoustics are superb.

Screen Shot 2022-08-08 at 3.08.38 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-08 at 3.10.38 PM.png

I've seen more classical concerts there than any other type. All 5 Beethoven Piano Concertos for instance, the Bach Violin Concertos, even a full performance of Beethoven's 9th Symphony with full chorus. But also now rock, blues, Irish folk music. Really all sorts of stuff! :)

The drive home is for us literally 5 minutes into the garage.

(And yeah, I guess I've gotten somewhat spoiled by that.)

-don

Last edited:

Latest posts