"How Fender players become Squier players..."

duceditor

Squier-Axpert
May 29, 2014
The Monadnocks, NH USA
For me it was a two step.

Step one: Bought some Squier 'cheapies' -- Affinities (a Tele and a Strat). Expected little. Got a lot.

Step two: Bought a couple of better ones -- Vintage Modified offsets - and they were for me simply Fenders with way lower price tags, Lacking nothing. Having everything they need, period.

Now neither of these things were likely to have happened years ago. Not even if such quality imports had been available. Fender was Fender. Anything else was to my youthful self a wannabe.

Sadly so. Call it the impressibility of youth. Mine. Other's.

Such is but a step away from famous player named guitars. And almost as, to me, silly.

Now a guitar is what it does for me as a player/owner. Those two separate because along with the playing come other pleasures. Good looks. A feeling of having made a good choice.

My two Affinities are still with me. My VM Squiers are true go-to guitars.

Do headstock labels matter at all? YES! I much prefer those with gold script to plain black.

-don

Last edited:

BluesForDan

Squier-holic
Nov 27, 2015
grrrrrr-ranite state!!
I was fenders only for many years. Life happens. I heard that the CV were pretty good. I tried some and found it was substantiated. Got my avatar and for a good while, it was my only guitar. Even today, I wouldn't hesitate to buy or recommend the Squier CV line. I'm in the process of gathering funds to establish a music room so I'm selling all my Squier but for one strat and one tele.

yegbert

Squier-Meister
Silver Supporting Member
Dec 12, 2009
Clinton, Maryland USA
I got an MIM Classic Series ‘50s Tele in the early 2000’s, then saw the price difference for slightly used Squiers. I bought an Indonesian Standard Tele to try and was pleased with it. I then purchased a few more [Squier Teles], some new and some used, and haven’t regretted getting any of them.

65refinyellow

Squier-holic
Jun 29, 2015
norcal
I had a ‘78 and later a ‘65 Fender tele, both good.

Then I also wanted to try strats so I got a MIJ Squier ST-357 strat and it was just as good except for the tuners. A few years later I saw my friend’s Squier Protone strat and realized it was fully a recording and gig keeper had it been mine.

Last edited:

BarnyardShark1979

Squier-Nut
Jul 9, 2020
Baltimore Maryland
My first electric was a 40th Anv USA Strat, and I still love it. But it was a 15th bday gift from my guitar playing/collecting dad and my budget was limited when I finally had my own income and domicile. I always wanted (at least) one of each model in the world, Squier prices put me closer to that goal quicker. Also, Squiers have been made well for decades now, and I've never been a brand name as status symbol guy.

Eddie

My Squier is on Fire !!!
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2016
New York
My first electric was a 40th Anv USA Strat, and I still love it. But it was a 15th bday gift from my guitar playing/collecting dad and my budget was limited when I finally had my own income and domicile. I always wanted (at least) one of each model in the world, Squier prices put me closer to that goal quicker. Also, Squiers have been made well for decades now, and I've never been a brand name as status symbol guy.

Do you still have your first guitar?

Mine was an alpine white Gibson Les Paul Custom that my dad brought for me when I was 14 in 1984. I sold it when I was 19 for an ESP. I'm 52 right now ... and regret selling the Gibson LPC every day of my life. :(

BarnyardShark1979

Squier-Nut
Jul 9, 2020
Baltimore Maryland
Do you still have your first guitar?

Mine was an alpine white Gibson Les Paul Custom that my dad brought for me when I was 14 in 1984. I sold it when I was 19 for an ESP. I'm 52 right now ... and regret selling the Gibson LPC every day of my life. :(
Sure do.
32UBko2.jpg

I've never sold an instrument in my life, but if unfortunate circumstances ever change that, this guy is not one that I'd let go of. Hell, I've had it since 94, like a year and a half before I was old enough to get a driver's license.

fenderbender419

Squier Talker
Sep 25, 2022
Ontario, Canada
I had a ‘78 and later a ‘65 Fender tele, both good.

Then I also wanted to try strats so I got a MIJ Squier ST-357 strat and it was just as good except for the tuners. A few years later I saw my friend’s Squier Protone strat and realized it was fully a recording and gig keeper had it been mine.
You're dead on about the ProTone series. I read somewhere that Squier quit making them because they were so good they cut into the Fender Strat sales. Here's mine. It's my favorite.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-09-27-18-27-55.png
    Screenshot_2022-09-27-18-27-55.png
    708.3 KB · Views: 6

65refinyellow

Squier-holic
Jun 29, 2015
norcal
You're dead on about the ProTone series. I read somewhere that Squier quit making them because they were so good they cut into the Fender Strat sales. Here's mine. It's my favorite.

So what did Fender have as an answer?

Alder body vs ash body, and ceramic pickups vs alnico pickups. There was just too much going for the Squier over the Fender.

dpang2836

Squier-holic
Double Platinum Member
Jan 25, 2022
IDAHO
Sweet Pro Tone Tele's too! Mr. Yeets bought as many Pro Tones as he could. Haven't heard from him? Mr. Fender Bender "You Have Mail" from me. Click the Envelope Top Right!:cool: