How does Fender and Squier get White Blonde Color?

Blues256

Squier-Nut
Apr 3, 2020
Poland
Technical question this time,

We have those classic colors like Blonde, Butterscotch Blonde, 2 and 3 Tone Sunburst, CAR, LPB and White Blonde. I was wondering how does Fender and Squier makes this color? Is it Mix of a White, Yellow and a little purple? I really love White blonde. Had Squier CV 50's tele in this color, wanted Vintera strat also in white blonde but it is no longer produced. My Squier CV50's bass is also in white blonde. This colour was invented in 50s as far as i known. I saw lots of You folks have white blondes strats and teles here

DougMen

Dr. Squier
Jun 8, 2017
Honolulu, HI
Historically, there's only one Blonde. There was never really any such thing as Butterscotch. It's only the color that some blonde guitars have yellowed and faded to over 50 or 60 years time. Here's a photo of a 1971 Blonde Tele, which is a pretty good example of what all Blonde Fenders looked like when new in the 50s, 60s, and 70s. All other "blonde" colors are ones that Fender has invented more recently. IMG_0765.jpg

Blues256

Squier-Nut
Apr 3, 2020
Poland
Historically, there's only one Blonde. There was never really any such thing as Butterscotch. It's only the color that some blonde guitars have yellowed and faded to over 50 or 60 years time. Here's a photo of a 1971 Blonde Tele, which is a pretty good example of what all Blonde Fenders looked like when new in the 50s, 60s, and 70s. All other "blonde" colors are ones that Fender has invented more recently. View attachment 233063
This looks so close to vintage white. Reminds me of crossroads movie. I also was wondering what colors they mix to get white blonde, white and yellow and they and pink, blue or purple ?

archetype

Squier-holic
Silver Supporting Member
Oct 24, 2017
Western NY, USA
This looks so close to vintage white. Reminds me of crossroads movie. I also was wondering what colors they mix to get white blonde, white and yellow and they and pink, blue or purple ?

Are you talking about the pink or purple tint you see in the white? That's not a component of the finish. That's light refracting through the transparent finish and picking up color from the wood.

IIRC a Fender-style white blonde is stark white, but low pigment, unless other colors are added to simulate aging.

Blues256

Squier-Nut
Apr 3, 2020
Poland
Are you talking about the pink or purple tint you see in the white? That's not a component of the finish. That's light refracting through the transparent finish and picking up color from the wood.

IIRC a Fender-style white blonde is stark white, but low pigment, unless other colors are added to simulate aging.
Yes i was talking about purple hue/tint. So that transparent finish of a white and yellow paint gives us refraction ?

archetype

Squier-holic
Silver Supporting Member
Oct 24, 2017
Western NY, USA
Yes i was talking about purple hue/tint. So that transparent finish of a white and yellow paint gives us refraction ?

The paint is just white with a clear coat over that.

Refraction is the light bending at a small angle when it passes through the surface of the clear coat, then bending when it passes through the color coat. That bending refracts the light into one or more of the light's component colors. In that process, the light acquires a bit of the wood's color. It's just optical physics working the way it does.

Blues256

Squier-Nut
Apr 3, 2020
Poland
The paint is just white with a clear coat over that.

Refraction is the light bending at a small angle when it passes through the surface of the clear coat, then bending when it passes through the color coat. That bending refracts the light into one or more of the light's component colors. In that process, the light acquires a bit of the wood's color. It's just optical physics working the way it does.

Wasnt paint white mixed with yellow ? It looks like white mixed with yellow

You brought some interesting things sir. So reflection goes through white coat finish at some angle and acquiers hints of wood color that mixes with white lacquer finish giving usnthis slecific colour, right ? Thats something new for me

BobbyMac

Squier Talker
Silver Supporting Member
Nov 10, 2021
Texas Panhandle
If you understand the distinction between translucent and opaque finishes, then you'll know that Fender's blonde finishes were "see through" due to the fact that the coloring agent was diluted to the point that you could see through it when applied to the body. Opaque finishes have no translucency; they are solid paints and completely cover the body wood so that none of the natural wood grain is visible.

archetype

Squier-holic
Silver Supporting Member
Oct 24, 2017
Western NY, USA
Wasnt paint white mixed with yellow ? It looks like white mixed with yellow

You brought some interesting things sir. So reflection goes through white coat finish at some angle and acquiers hints of wood color that mixes with white lacquer finish giving usnthis slecific colour, right ? Thats something new for me

Traditionally, it was just white. The clear coat yellowed over time so it looked a bit yellowish.

With modern guitars, sometimes a bit of yellow is added to the white to make the white look "old."

archetype

Squier-holic
Silver Supporting Member
Oct 24, 2017
Western NY, USA

Yes. When light passes through a finish, reflects from a surface, and passes back out of the finish. Each pass through the finish bends the light and changes the color very slightly.