Hilariously bad relic jobs ruining decent guitars - Pictures please!

spanker63

Squier-holic
Nov 16, 2010
Upstate NY
Well, you really didn't real the title for this thread. For the record, I'm not some "Judgemental a$$hat," either. Far from it, buddy. Until you have held and played a genuine real relic, one that's been played to death, you can't appreciate how it feels and plays versus a cheap fake relic job that misses the mark by a mile. My first guitar in the early sixties was a heavily played relic. It was a Kay acoustic from the forties, not a square corner on the headstock, wear-rolled fingerboard, binding glued back on where it split and fell off and the best, my father glued the pickguard back on with rubber cement. It had scrapes, buckle rash and pick scratches all over the front of it. A genuine relic. I can't abide by the fake relics that took all of an hour to churn out. Either do it right or not at all.

And that's fine to have an opinion on relics. What I took issue with is the fact that some of the posters are grabbing pictures of other people's guitars and then bashing them. God forbid that somebody's guitar gets posted here and they see it getting mocked. Fun for those bashing... but not so much for the guy who's getting bashed. In my opinion, it's just a trashy thing to do.

It's one thing to have an opinion but it's something else to post in a public forum to openly abuse somebody's efforts. If somebody wants to point fun at some terrible relic effort that they did themselves, as well as invite someone else to do the same... have at it.

In the years that I've been here, one of the best parts of this forum was the support among members... it just appears (and not just by this thread) that it's turned into something else. Just an opinion.

jamesgpobog

Squier-holic
Feb 18, 2020
SoCal

jamesgpobog

Squier-holic
Feb 18, 2020
SoCal
Now this is just simply a hate crime.
https://reverb.com/item/59223095-squier-vintage-modified-baritone-jazzmaster
View attachment 239641
That would be a $1200 Squier Baritone if some ahole hadn't destroyed it. This clown thinks he can get $900 or trade for a 7 stringer of equivalent value (are there $50 7 stringers out there?). #noclue

And what the hell is up with the headstock? Is that supposed to be nicotine stains? Yeah, that thing has been butchered.

Lanaka

Squier-holic
Feb 11, 2020
Honolulu, HI
And what the hell is up with the headstock? Is that supposed to be nicotine stains? Yeah, that thing has been butchered.

That's a perfect example of not knowing what he's doing and the "if some is good more's better and too much is perfect" thinking. 🤔🙄

One gets ye ten that the joker doesn't even know they're supposed to be nic stains. Sees some in old guitar pics and says lets copy that and cover most of headstock with same colouration THEN sees the forearm wear and copies that but buzzes it almost all the way around the body.

😆😂🤣😅😁

Last edited:

jamesgpobog

Squier-holic
Feb 18, 2020
SoCal
That's a perfect example of not knowing what he's doing and the "if some is good more's better and too much is perfect" thinking. 🤔🙄

One gets ye ten that the joker doesn't even know they're supposed to be nic stains. Sees some in old guitar pics and says lets copy that and cover most of headstock with same colouration THEN sees the forearm wear and copies that but buzzes it almost all the way around the body.

😆😂🤣😅😁

It's all wrong. Nicotine stain on the front of the headstock, but not the back? Same for the 'hard use' wear, all on the front, but non from body contact with the back of the guitar, especially the 'belly cut'?

I dunno, IMHO a pretty crappy job if you ask me...

Lanaka

Squier-holic
Feb 11, 2020
Honolulu, HI
It's all wrong. Nicotine stain on the front of the headstock, but not the back? Same for the 'hard use' wear, all on the front, but non from body contact with the back of the guitar, especially the 'belly cut'?

I dunno, IMHO a pretty crappy job if you ask me...

LOL, I didn't look at the Reverb listing itself, just the front alone was enough to convince me that I'm not interested in checking out this particular guitar. If there's no matching abuse on back (which is a good or bad thing depending how ye look at it: good is less things to fix, bad is that ye prolly have to strip the back off anyway to ensure properly matching finish over entire guitar front to back), then the seller is superficial in his work on this guitar ...or he's burnt out from all that overdone work on the front, LOL!

And yup, no arguments from me, VERY crappy piece of job there! 😖

Lanaka

Squier-holic
Feb 11, 2020
Honolulu, HI
Serious question:
Do you put a relic’ed guitar in a case?

I'd put ALL guitars in a hard case. New or old, beatup or pristine.
Best way to protect them when not in use. Unless the guitar is in my current active rotation, that is. Then they're on hangers with dust shrouds. BUT if they're travelling from home, back into their cases it goes before going.

There is actually relic cases you can buy. For a pretty penny too.
Next up is relic amplifiers, straps, picks, capos, etc...😄

Oh gods, puhleeease! 🙄😆

That reminds me, my real relic 1989 Ibanez RG565R has it's original hard case and that one also has seen many miles gigging up/down the East Coast. So it shows the wear n tear, but still is fine functionally wise. Heck the case even retains the old beer and tobacco smells. I'm going to leave it alone and keep that odors intact. .. altho the stain in one spot gotta go. Dunno what it is but eeew!

Ibanez_RG565R-FF1-CFAAZ(4x3).jpg

I'll add in a pic of the case outsides later. Tis 230am and not feelin up to digging out the case from the closet at moment. 😅

65refinyellow

Squier-holic
Jun 29, 2015
norcal
Having had very old Fenders, I saw where they wear and where they don’t.

The three most vulnerable places are:

1) in the neck around the edges and cowboy chord areas

2) steel parts and rust that hits where you might palm mute over the bridge

3) older Fender headstock decals where the decals are not lacquered over which started in the late-60s onward

But the way I see their custom shop relics is so not like real wear in most cases unless it’s purposely lightly done in relic.

Last edited:

Lanaka

Squier-holic
Feb 11, 2020
Honolulu, HI
Having had very old Fenders, I saw where they wear and where they don’t.

The three most vulnerable places are:

1) in the neck around the edges and cowboy chord areas

2) steel parts and rust that hits where you might palm mute over the bridge

3) older Fender headstock decals where the decals are not lacquered over which started in the late-60s onward

Basically it's mostly the common contact points. To extend yer list. From head to bottom:

Headstock tip dents n dings from collisions. Also I see a lot of scratches from clip-on tuner.

The burn marks on headstock near the nut, if user is a smoker.

Patina and wear on tuner keys. Often most wear on the Lo-E and G. Sometimes the tuner's key shafts or string pegs can be bent or broken

Similarly I've seen bent, crushed or broken off string guides.

Backside of neck where the palm contacts the surface. Plus dents/dings.

Edges of the fretboard from the base of fingers and thumb. Plus dents n dings on edges of fretboard.

The finger marks on the surface of the fretboard in the first octave region (14-10) and the cowboy chords (01-05). Sometimes the second octave too (~19-24) if user is a shredder freak. You could see dents n dings on top surface of fretboard.

Often not mentioned are wear on the frets themselves, along with nicks and dents too. You could see chips on the fretboard on poorly executed fret changes and/or dressing.

Second area affected by the shredders is the neck joint area, specifically the edges and joint plate and it's bolts. You'll sometimes see finish cracks here if the guitar has been habitually held horizontally by the neck ...VERY bad habit! The neck joint plate may have scratches, dents and tarnish including peeling/flaking paint or plating. The heel sides can have dents and wear too.

To a lesser extent the insides of the horns can see finish wear from users hanging their hands/forearms on the horns. Sometimes such wear can extend a bit way into the body top part of these areas if they're not regularly wiped down and the finish degrades from the acidic & salty sweats. The horns are also exceptionally good at catching falling items and get dents n dings here too. Collaterally, the tips of the horns can be damaged or worn too.

There may be pick scratches on either sides of the pickguard (if guitar has one else in equivalent places and even closer to the sides of the strings. This happens IF the user is a particularly exuberant strummer or prone to doing cartwheel picking and similar stunts. Look at Rabea's #1 guitar. 🤔😉😁

Then there's the corrosion on the bridge and saddles from sweat contact and, to a lesser extent, wear from palm muting contact.

Probably the most obvious wear (in an old or heavily used guitar) is the forearm wear on the forearm cut and/or the immediately adjacent body edges.

Another would be the edges around the strap buttons from strap contact. And the strap buttons themselves from sweat and wear.

And then there's the occasional dings n dents on other parts like body points (on Vs and other pointy guitars), body sides and the lower bouts that happens when user bangs into things with guitar strapped on OR when it's set down in an unsecure location and it slides or falls against something else (like other guitars) or something else falls onto the guitar. OR one (OMG! 😱) drops the guitar.

And people seems to forget what happens to the body backsides: buckle rashes, scratches, wear from contact to clothes or sweat, dings n dents (oddly people seem to care less about damage on the back than the front).

I also see a lot of scratches and nicks n dings from setting guitar down unprotected on rough surfaces like coarse concrete, gravel, dirt and junk. This damage also are seen on the sides and edges of the body, especially on the bottom.

And then there's the cracking, crazes and peeling or flaking of the finish due to a variety of reasons depending on finish type, situation and how long it has been going on.

Oh! Almost forgot my fave: the changes in the finish colouration due to elements, contaminants and exposure. Fading reds and white changing to parchment and cream. And very rare: blacks turning gray.

I think that pretty much covers most of the common real wear that happens to a guitar that has seen actual use over the years (or in less time if it's heavily used with less regards to care and condition of the guitar).

Last edited:

Eddd

Squier-holic
Nov 20, 2019
Canada
Today I’m going to grind a bunch of paint off my car.then spray it with a mixture of salty water to accelerate the rust. I don’t want to make it look like a rat rod just more like a relic,you know make something new look old.like a new guitar ,making it something that it isn’t.😆

65refinyellow

Squier-holic
Jun 29, 2015
norcal
Basically it's mostly the common contact points. To extend yer list. From head to bottom:

Headstock tip dents n dings from collisions. Also I see a lot of scratches from clip-on tuner.

The burn marks on headstock near the nut, if user is a smoker.

Patina and wear on tuner keys. Often most wear on the Lo-E and G. Sometimes the tuner's key shafts or string pegs can be bent or broken

Similarly I've seen bent, crushed or broken off string guides.

Backside of neck where the palm contacts the surface. Plus dents/dings.

Edges of the fretboard from the base of fingers and thumb. Plus dents n dings on edges of fretboard.

The finger marks on the surface of the fretboard in the first octave region (14-10) and the cowboy chords (01-05). Sometimes the second octave too (~19-24) if user is a shredder freak. You could see dents n dings on top surface of fretboard.

Often not mentioned are wear on the frets themselves, along with nicks and dents too. You could see chips on the fretboard on poorly executed fret changes and/or dressing.

Second area affected by the shredders is the neck joint area, specifically the edges and joint plate and it's bolts. You'll sometimes see finish cracks here if the guitar has been habitually held horizontally by the neck ...VERY bad habit! The neck joint plate may have scratches, dents and tarnish including peeling/flaking paint or plating. The heel sides can have dents and wear too.

To a lesser extent the insides of the horns can see finish wear from users hanging their hands/forearms on the horns. Sometimes such wear can extend a bit way into the body top part of these areas if they're not regularly wiped down and the finish degrades from the acidic & salty sweats. The horns are also exceptionally good at catching falling items and get dents n dings here too. Collaterally, the tips of the horns can be damaged or worn too.

There may be pick scratches on either sides of the pickguard (if guitar has one else in equivalent places and even closer to the sides of the strings. This happens IF the user is a particularly exuberant strummer or prone to doing cartwheel picking and similar stunts. Look at Rabea's #1 guitar. 🤔😉😁

Then there's the corrosion on the bridge and saddles from sweat contact and, to a lesser extent, wear from palm muting contact.

Probably the most obvious wear (in an old or heavily used guitar) is the forearm wear on the forearm cut and/or the immediately adjacent body edges.

Another would be the edges around the strap buttons from strap contact. And the strap buttons themselves from sweat and wear.

And then there's the occasional dings n dents on other parts like body points (on Vs and other pointy guitars), body sides and the lower bouts that happens when user bangs into things with guitar strapped on OR when it's set down in an unsecure location and it slides or falls against something else (like other guitars) or something else falls onto the guitar. OR one (OMG! 😱) drops the guitar.

And people seems to forget what happens to the body backsides: buckle rashes, scratches, wear from contact to clothes or sweat, dings n dents (oddly people seem to care less about damage on the back than the front).

I also see a lot of scratches and nicks n dings from setting guitar down unprotected on rough surfaces like coarse concrete, gravel, dirt and junk. This damage also are seen on the sides and edges of the body, especially on the bottom.

And then there's the cracking, crazes and peeling or flaking of the finish due to a variety of reasons depending on finish type, situation and how long it has been going on.

Oh! Almost forgot my fave: the changes in the finish colouration due to elements, contaminants and exposure. Fading reds and white changing to parchment and cream. And very rare: blacks turning gray.

I think that pretty much covers most of the common real wear that happens to a guitar that has seen actual use over the years (or in less time if it's heavily used with less regards to care and condition of the guitar).
That is really well thought out.

I have worked outdoors a lot with my hands or maybe just haven’t moisturized is all.

Any my palms are like sandpaper and I suppose I probably destroy bridges more than most. Also since I played steel string acoustic my grip puts in dents into the frets faster. Some (most) people put less wear on guitars.