Having trouble getting there?

duceditor

Squier-Axpert
May 29, 2014
The Monadnocks, NH USA
The closest I ever came to joining that particular rat race was in the early `60s. Trying to as a very young guitarist master Bob Bogle's unique style.

(As here...)

Since those very early days I've not even thought about it. A, not having the gift of imitation, and, B, realizing that it was far more fun and satisfying to just explore me, myself, and see where that took me.

Still doing that some 60 plus years later.

Hey, there's only one of each of us. "he" (whoever he may be) already is. You and me? Maybe we yet ain't. ;)

-don

duceditor

Squier-Axpert
May 29, 2014
The Monadnocks, NH USA
I wasn't thinking of being a 'carbon copy' but to kind of be able to get into a particular space -- like you're walking down
the same street, but looking at different buildings.
Musical styles initially form by people being close to one-aother. Hearing, experiencing, and then expressing the same things.

"Country" music developed in this way. So did things like 'Delta' and 'Chicago' blues.

Today we come into such cold. The impulse does not come from a musical language within, but from without. Something that some of us can pull off -- just as some people can fake a whole lot of foreign accents, ways of expression and even the voices that usually carry them.

Others cannot.

And then there are those to whom the imitative sounds genuine, and others to whom it sounds, even when loudly applauded, simply canned.

(I'm that way with the "blues" of Bonnie Raitt and have never been able to 'hear' her goodness like many do.)

That's one reason, BTW, that I only very rarely play the music of such as Bach. I absolutely love it, but my talent and life experience will never make it sound, even to me, "real.")

-don

lost sailor

Squier-Nut
Oct 7, 2013
Wolf 359
I do imitate various accents (very well, I'm told) I used them to harass telemarketers back in the day before robo's came around. My "old Chinaman" character used to get me hung up on frequently.

Angry Possum

Obsessed With Music, Guitars and The Ocean
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 30, 2019
Squier Island NY
The closest I ever came to joining that particular rat race was in the early `60s. Trying to as a very young guitarist master Bob Bogle's unique style.

(As here...)

Since those very early days I've not even thought about it. A, not having the gift of imitation, and, B, realizing that it was far more fun and satisfying to just explore me, myself, and see where that took me.

Still doing that some 60 plus years later.

Hey, there's only one of each of us. "he" (whoever he may be) already is. You and me? Maybe we yet ain't. ;)

-don
Great job. Don are you using the Spark 40.

corn

Squier-holic
Feb 27, 2013
San Diego
I can get a lot of tones, surf, country, classic rock hard rock metal,,, etc,,, a lot of times I can get real close to a specific sound, but usually that’s by accident. Once in a while by accident, I think I’ve nailed a certain tone, I’ll leave that set up and come back the next day and it’s sounds not even close, lol

duceditor

Squier-Axpert
May 29, 2014
The Monadnocks, NH USA
Once in a while ... I think I’ve nailed a certain tone, ...the next day and it’s sounds not even close, lol
I expect most of us have experienced that. Not only with finding a tone we've heard before, but even in the making of one totally of and for ourselves.
Ear tiredness is, I think, a key reason. Fresh ears hear things differently, and in a sense more honestly.

This is so often true for me that I always plan a second visit to the sound knowing that I will have to at least tweak it. And sometimes just chuck it and start afresh.

Typically it requires 3 visits to know I have the sound I require. And occasionally further visits yet improve it.

That's okay. And, I think, common.

There's a reason that studio musicians get to where they are. Their ability to come in cold and reliably get to that perfect sound quickly is to a producer like money in the bank.

-don

Last edited: