Fleor pickup install in bullet strat

SonicGreyBeard

Squier Talker
Oct 20, 2021
Melbourne, Florida
I installed a set of Fleor HSS Alnico 5 pickups in my bullet strat.

Seems everything went well except the first position on the 5 way switch isn't working (neck pickup). However, the second position, mixing the neck and middle works and the neck pickup switches on in the second position.

Strange. Any troubleshooting suggestions?

Last edited:

dbrian66

Dr. Squier
Jul 14, 2017
Maryland, USA

Hal Nico

Squier-Nut
Dec 21, 2020
UK
A multi meter is invaluable in these situations. Measuring the ohms from one connection to the next will pinpoint your issue very quick. You can pick them up pretty cheap on Amazon.

Crenova MS8233D Auto-Ranging Digital Multimeter Voltmeter Ohm Volt Amp Tester with Backlight LCD Display Test Leads https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KXX2OYY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_7JAV24Z8H6H6FGMB9PG9

I couldn't see a price on that one DB.

Here's a cheap one similar to I use .

Amazon Multimeter

$12.99

Good enough for these little jobs IMHO :)

dbrian66

Dr. Squier
Jul 14, 2017
Maryland, USA
I couldn't see a price on that one DB.

Here's a cheap one similar to I use .

Amazon Multimeter

$12.99

Good enough for these little jobs IMHO :)
It was $20 something. I just grabbed one because it looked pretty basic. Most of the under $100 Chinese made ones are pretty similar and work just fine this kind of stuff. At work where I rely on the meter, I use a Fluke.

SonicGreyBeard

Squier Talker
Oct 20, 2021
Melbourne, Florida
It was a messy connection. I cleaned up some solder on connections to the switch. THanks for all the suggestions.

I'm loving the pickups. The stock bullet strat pickups were actually not bad and I'm likely going to put them into another guitar in the future. They had a very 'hendrix-y" tone to me, especially the neck pickup. The humbucker is crunchy and you can get lots of nice tones out of them, from very clean to very distorted.

I was reading "if it aint broke don't fix it" over and over but I'm glad I decided to change over to the Fleors. They're much more 'hot' as advertised. ..but what I'm impressed with is the 3 dimensional sound quality that was lacking in the stock bullet strat pickups. The overtones and undertones of the notes really come out and you can especially notice it when playing chords with distortion. The way the notes vibrate with each other is so pleasing. :)

I do miss the 'percussive', hendrix-y sound of the stock neck pickup (think Little Wing) but I can still get that tone with a little tweaking on the amp.

Recommended.

Lanaka

Squier-holic
Feb 11, 2020
Honolulu, HI
It was a messy connection. I cleaned up some solder on connections to the switch. THanks for all the suggestions.

I'm loving the pickups. The stock bullet strat pickups were actually not bad and I'm likely going to put them into another guitar in the future. They had a very 'hendrix-y" tone to me, especially the neck pickup. The humbucker is crunchy and you can get lots of nice tones out of them, from very clean to very distorted.

I was reading "if it aint broke don't fix it" over and over but I'm glad I decided to change over to the Fleors. They're much more 'hot' as advertised. ..but what I'm impressed with is the 3 dimensional sound quality that was lacking in the stock bullet strat pickups. The overtones and undertones of the notes really come out and you can especially notice it when playing chords with distortion. The way the notes vibrate with each other is so pleasing. :)

I do miss the 'percussive', hendrix-y sound of the stock neck pickup (think Little Wing) but I can still get that tone with a little tweaking on the amp.

Recommended.

Ah, a recommendation for avoiding the same mistake by the original person who worked on the electronics. Use a towel to cover the area yer working over to avoid solder splatter all over the area, try using just enough heat to melt the solder but not so much that it start making the solder boil and make bubbles that splatters blobs all over, and most importantly, take your time, it takes less time doing the job correctly than having to cleanup and redo a botched job.

I'm sure ye already know the basics. The above is for the noobs who's reading this thread. ;)

SonicGreyBeard

Squier Talker
Oct 20, 2021
Melbourne, Florida
Ah, a recommendation for avoiding the same mistake by the original person who worked on the electronics. Use a towel to cover the area yer working over to avoid solder splatter all over the area, try using just enough heat to melt the solder but not so much that it start making the solder boil and make bubbles that splatters blobs all over, and most importantly, take your time, it takes less time doing the job correctly than having to cleanup and redo a botched job.

I'm sure ye already know the basics. The above is for the noobs who's reading this thread. ;)

No, actually this is the second set of pickups I've installed. (I installed a DiMarzio Model P in my Squier P bass too). ...so I appreciate the recommendation. My eyesight isn't the best so I'm going to get a magnifier for my next install.

Hal Nico

Squier-Nut
Dec 21, 2020
UK
No, actually this is the second set of pickups I've installed. (I installed a DiMarzio Model P in my Squier P bass too). ...so I appreciate the recommendation. My eyesight isn't the best so I'm going to get a magnifier for my next install.

If you haven't already then get one of these,

eBay Solder Sucker

s-l1600.jpg

Saves a lot of hassle keeping the jobs clean :)

archetype

Squier-holic
Silver Supporting Member
Oct 24, 2017
Western NY, USA
I use an ancient Korean made Radio Shack multimeter made back when the brand actually produced real and rugged tools for a good affordable price.

Here's the box for it.

View attachment 233350

I'm STILL looking for the multi itself. I just moved and still have as yet to figure out which box it's in! Grr! 😖😡

Radio Shack/Tandy resold Micronta products which were inexpensive, but solid electronic stuff. I used my compact Micronta multimeter at least weekly for 30 years before it finally gave up.