Decent but inexpensive tuners

FS SE

Squier-Meister
Mar 9, 2021
Colorado
Iv got a starcaster strat I'm modding-- it uses the chrome closed back tuners - no pin- 1 screw tuners. A couple of them are pretty loose and I'm wanting to put something else on it.

Is there a direct replacement of better quality for a budget price?

FS SE

Squier-Meister
Mar 9, 2021
Colorado
Put up some Pics? Round Tuners or Squares on Starcaster? Makes a difference since Holes are not all the same. So, we need to actually see what you have, to suggest what would fit.:eek: These are nice!
Those Wilkersons were the ones I was looking at-- thanks.

I also heard the gotoh lockers will fit too-- but they cost more than what I paid for the guitar and I'm trying to keep the budget low

lateralus

Squier Talker
Apr 30, 2022
WI
ive used both the gotohs and wilkinson ez locks.. I prefer the gotohs for their smoothness in the turning mechanism..

ive personally never had any problems with the newer mim player strat tuners those pop up locally cheap often if you want to go that route.

a friend of mine has taken apart those same kind of tuners you have cleaned and tightened everything up with a fresh dab of lithium grease in the gears and rubber bushings.

Nadnitram

Squier-Meister
Jan 1, 2020
Ohio
It's hard to beat these locking tuners from gfs in terms of value. I've used them on a few guitars and they work very well. They're inexpensive and better quality than the cheap ones from Amazon.
Green Strat 2.jpg

Ooh, interesting! I repainted my Indiana strat in green sparkle and dropped in the guts from a loaded Fender USA S-1 pickguard. The original tuners are still on it -- functional, but not smooth. Maybe it's time for an upgrade.

synapse2k

Squier-Meister
Mar 2, 2018
Brooklyn, NY
I went with the hipshots. I don't really like them that much, but they were a direct fit into vintage size holes and I didn't want to do any drilling or ream out any holes. I find they hold tune OK but not as good as Fender locking tuners or any of the vintage style tuners I have on other guitars.

295FE775-6A9B-4C80-A8CE-6612454A0384.jpg

wraub

Squier-Meister
Feb 27, 2012
az
I recently replaced the tuners on a Squier Strat with a Fender Road Worn traditional set. Inexpensive straight from Fender, work great and stay in tune. I can even use the vibrato and it stays in tune pretty well.

Latest posts