9 styles of surf rock? ;-)

PangPang

Squier-Meister
Jul 17, 2020
Macau

Hi folks, hope it's okay we post this "9 styles" of surf rock here. This is something we posted on a local online music video competition, hoping that we would qualify to play in the annual summer beach concert of our town.

We hope these simple tunes can wake up people's "ancient" dreams and perhaps pick up the guitar again. These songs from over half a century ago are still very cool and fun to play even today!!! After the 4-style surf rock demo we did last year, we present to you this summer the "global 9 styles" of surf rock:

1. Uncle Sam's
2. Borscht
3. Country Chicken Picking
4. Abbey Road 1 stone 2 birds
5. Champs-Élysées
6. Cactus Country- El Estilo de Gumbas
7. Dracula's Hometown
8. Manchurian
9. Ginza

I know, it's a gimmick. You know we wanted to bring back surf rock to our town. So I created the "9 styles" based on the origin of some of these songs, hoping that people will be interested enough. After all, many of our audiences find surf music a novelty ;p

So this is a compilation of some of the surf songs we've done from the past few months.

Cheers!

PangPang

Squier-Meister
Jul 17, 2020
Macau
Good luck. The father-daughter combo should get you a slot (if I were a judge).

Mina got really tall, really quickly. The guitar no longer looks too big for her.
Thanks, Davis! We hope so too...they pay and pay quite well (government event). Most bands we know didn't get selected last year. We were lucky they invited us last time, as they were quite impressed to see how kids in our band play...he he...normally only the biggest bands get to go, I mean those who actually have their own albums and all...so I hope that they will get us a slot this year again as there is a stage that recruits themed music...no one plays surf here in our town except us...I hope they like the idea. Besides, it's gonna be a beach concert so I hope they like the word "surf"...hahaha. Thank you again!!!

duceditor

Squier-Axpert
May 29, 2014
The Monadnocks, NH USA
Funny how working in and thru systems oftren require us to fabricate differences, to call attention to distinctions that are as often as not arbitrary.

We can personally laugh at such, but knowing how to work systems is, sadly, often an integral part of finding success within them.

I say the above because your list had absolutely no meaning to me. Whilst your playing most definitely does.

When I returned to "surf" about 10 years ago (I'd had some success with it in its early days) I was coincidentally just beginning a writing gig with an increasingly popular webzine. Their editors loved things based on numbered lists ("The ten best way to get a good night sleep," "The ten things to avoid if you are especially prone to hangnails," and the like. :p ) So among other early subjects I submitted, and saw published, was this:

The Top 10 Surf Songs of the Sixties

The reaction to the aticle was mixed. More than a few enjoyed the memories the list (and the video links -- now in many cases missing) brought to mind, others had a cow over my inclusion of the Beach Boys. ("They are not surf!!!")

In truth the more writing I did for general audiences the more I came to understand that everyone has an... opinion. But if we wish to press ahead we need to be willing to play the games that other people not only play, but that they quite often make the nonsensical rules for.

Hope the gig works out! I do love to hear you two rockin'! :)

-don

Last edited:

PangPang

Squier-Meister
Jul 17, 2020
Macau
Funny how working in and thru systems oftren require us to fabricate differences, to call attention to distinctions that are as often as not arbitrary.

We can personally laugh at such, but knowing how to work systems is, sadly, often an integral part of finding success within them.

I say the above because your list had absolutely no meaning to me. Whilst your playing most definitely does.

When I returned to "surf" about 10 years ago (I'd had some success with it in its early days) I was coincidentally just beginning a writing gig with an increasingly popular webzine. Their editors loved things based on numbered lists ("The ten best way to get a good night sleep," "The ten things to avoid if you are especially prone to hangnails," and the like. :p ) So among other early subjects I submitted, and saw published, was this:

The Top 10 Surf Songs of the Sixties

The reaction to the aticle was mixed. More than a few enjoyed the memories the list (and the video links -- now in many cases missing) brought to mind, others had a cow over my inclusion of the Beach Boys. ("They are not surf!!!")

In truth the more writing I did for general audiences the more I came to understand that everyone has an... opinion. But if we wish to press ahead we need to be willing to play the games that other pople not only play, but that they quite often make the nonsensical rules for.

Hope the gig works out! I do love to hear you two rockin'! :)

-don

Thanks Don...you know what it is like.. 😆😆😆 hahaha....

Latest posts